Sign in to follow this  

74 ty gearing ?

ok so i have a 74 ty 250 and i had a 14/53 gearing on it. due to me being totally dumb and not looking at the sprockets (from 74 i bet) my rear sprockets teeth are about 3/16 long and my chain is now turning over my sprocket :smirk: hahah yea i know. so new chain and sprockets are needed. so here come the questions.

#1 my front sprocket is looking pretty new and has hardly any ware on it. on the ty i believe i can flip it over and use the back side that hasn't been used??? or is that dumb and should i just buy a new one like this one --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunstar-14T-Front-Sprocket-Yamaha-TY250-74-/320789599215?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ab08cd3ef

#2 i found a rear sprocket on ebay here--> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunstar-50T-Steel-Rear-Sprocket-Yamaha-TY250-74-/320790728041?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ab09e0d69 it being a 50 tooth. i really like my old set up. do you think if i got a 50 in the back and 13 in the front would be about the same??? idk i really not a sprocket/gearing genius. i know if you drop teeth in the back you get more pull or torch. but is 3 teeth that much to make a huge difference? thats the reason for the 13 in the front question.. i want it to be as close to the same as before even if its a 13/50 i think you gotta go more to do that right? more like 13/45 a drop of 8 i have no idea im just guessing :bonk: hahah

#3 what chain should i use? i know on the ty's they have hardly any room for extra chain width wise. i know that a o-ring chain is to wide but not sure what chain to use.

#4 if i buy these to said sprockets will they both fit on a new chain. . . reason for that is i got a spare rear sprocket when i got the bike (old) and it wouldn't fit on my chain. idk if my chain is so stretched out or what. the sprocket i tried to put on was larger with less teeth. i believe it was 45T weird i know

thanks for the help, im just clueless and i get to confused on gearing lol

-Brady

yea im way out of line lol. i got everything as$ backwards. i told you i wasn't a genius haha. any way my friend showed me a website and a 14/53 has a 3.79 ratio and a 13/50 has a 3.85 ratio. so that's the way im going now.