Sign in to follow this  

Is a 125 and important bike?

Is a 125 2 stroke an important bike for learning to race mx?

Its my second year racing, I already have a crf250r now but I plan on getting into the sport a lot more this year and I don't want to miss a step that would possibly help me out a lot with my skills.

I think it is. It teaches you how to use the clutch in turns, and ride a more finese style. The lack of power compared to the 250f will make you push harder in a race, eventually making you faster when you move up to a bigger bike.

A 125 will make you a lot faster if you can learn how ro ride it. Some people just can not ride one, those people are the ones who like to lug around and use 1 gear everywhere. But if you van figure it out it will make you much faster because you have to carry so much more speed to make it go.

I agree with the two posts above. If you can ride a 125 fast, you'll be fast on anything. Plus it's loads of fun to beable to wring the neck of something and not worry about it biting you. Just keep it revving and it's happy.

Its true...My buddy ( a A class offroad racer) went from his YZ250 down to a YZ125 since he had never had one before. He rode it offroad and races MX on it a few times. He said he really did learn alot and picked up alot of technique. He said he wished he had bought one before every getting his 250. Also note that your alot closer to 125 power seeing that your only on a 250f and not a 250 2 stroke like he was. So it shouldnt be a huge switch. I currently ride a GasGas 300 2 stroke and it makes me lazy sometimes since its so easy to lug, but is alot to handle if your in the powerband all the time. If i could own any second bike it would be a KTM 150SX just to learn some technique and ride more aggressively. Thats what I would recommend getting seeing as they make about 5hp over a typical 125, can be raced against 250f's, and in some cases you will be able to pull away from 250f's on one.

learn to ride and ride fast on a 2 stroke and then get on a four stroke, you automatically get faster once you make the conversion. same with riding 85/100's. ride and race on a mini, get on a big bike and you get faster right from the start. i remember going through those stages, it felt great.

Yeah I can see myself hating it big time at first, but I think It will pay off in the end!

plus I'm like the perfect size for one since im only 5'6, 130 lbs, they are also much cheaper to buy and maintain.

Does anybody know if the stock suspension setup on a 125 is good for 130 lbs or would I have to get softer springs?

Im looking at either a YZ 06+ or CR 05+

Does anybody know if the stock suspension setup on a 125 is good for 130 lbs or would I have to get softer springs? Im looking at either a YZ 06+ or CR 05+
If you want a 125 get the yz hands down. I have raced mine in A class since 06. I have replated the cylinder 1 time and have put 2 cranks in it, the oem one wasnt even bad when I replaced it but I just wanted to replace it and I had a hot rods fail due to bad fuel. That is 5+ years of ALOT or racing and wfo riding and that is the only motor problems I have ever had. keep A good set of rings in it and it will last forever. The 06+ suspension is realy good, if your going to ride woods you should probably get softer springs but mx you would probably be ok.

Of the two you are considering go with the YZ. Better engine and suspension. Why not consider a 2007+ 125/144/150SX? My brother has a 2007 144SX with all the updates from the 150 and it is a great bike. Feels like it doesn't weigh any more than a mountain bike and handles really good. Skittish in a straight line, even by two stroke standards but that doesn't bother me. I'm tall and can let the bike move under me quite a bit. It will outrun a 250F pretty easy too. My brother weighs 30lbs more than you and still gets holeshots against 250F's. I even got holeshots on my 2004 KX that had been 144'd and I weigh 175.

Yeah I can see myself hating it big time at first, but I think It will pay off in the end!

You will not hate it trust me..you will love it. I wish I had a 125/150. They are by far the funnest bikes to ride out there. Its just a matter of if you want to go faster you eventually have to move on.

You will not hate it trust me..you will love it. I wish I had a 125/150. They are by far the funnest bikes to ride out there. Its just a matter of if you want to go faster you eventually have to move on.

I'm thinking I will hate it a first because of the power difference from my 250f, also because I have never owned a 2 stroke myself so it will take some getting used to.

I'm thinking I will hate it a first because of the power difference from my 250f, also because I have never owned a 2 stroke myself so it will take some getting used to.

Just have to keep the revs up and do the shifting tap dance.

I have a good friend who has a CRF 450 and he realized that he was getting lazy. He is an intermediate/Vet A rider. He decided last summer to get a YZ 125. He added a pipe, silencer and reeds to give it that little extra power. He has had an absolute blast on it. He has recognized just how lazy he was getting on the 450 and how slow he was in the corners. His lap times on the 450 are even faster now. Funny though, more often than not he chooses to get on the 125 because he finds it more fun. I have three sons that are riding 125's and it is obvious to see them learning the importance of corner speed, gear selection and being in the right spot of the powerband and using the clutch . I personally skipped the 125 and went straight to a 250 2 stroke and kinda wish that I hadn't.

The Bug

I really miss having a 125, should have kept it. My usual bike is a 450, but I would get on the 125 and always have a great time. I could actually tighten my line in a corner if needed and just throw it around. And the the best part was....the sound. It sounded fast, wrapped out and banging gears is just awesome. I would pee myself if I could ride a 450 with that kind of aggression. :bonk:

I feel it helped me ride with more momentum and improve my timing. One of the tracks I ride had four small to medium tables back to back, and on the 450 you could be lazy and just blip the throttle in 2nd or 3rd and clear them no problem, it didn't really matter if you were smooth. The 125 was great because you really had to pay attention and land in the right spot, if you mis-timed the section you did not have the torque to correct your approach to the next jump.

Might have to look for used 125 :smirk:

I shoved one of my 250F friends on my 125sx last weekend, I was injured and couldn't ride and his bike was busted, so he rode mine. He had never ridden a 125 before and after a few sessions of me on the sidelines giving him tips, etc... he got his pace up and honestly, he did his quickest laptimes ever on the 125 over his 250F. Now, he still prefers riding the 250F, but thats because it takes much less energy, he doesn't have to be on it so much.

Now, there are good things about BOTH bikes. On a 250F, you learn how to leave a jump face on the throttle. On a 125 you don't need to be on the throttle leaving a jump face at all. In fact (bad habit) I sometimes brake leading up to small jumps because I've built so much speed, I have to scrub it off and my abilities at 'scrubbing' a jump properly just don't exist right now.

Anyway, I do feel that riding a 125 is critical to learning how to ride properly. The problem is, a lot of people go backwards and once you've tasted 4 stroke waters, its hard to ride the 125 because it truly is SO MUCH MORE WORK to ride. It can get very frustrating and a lot of people buy 125's, just to 'say' they have them and never ride'em. I forced myself to stay away from 4 strokes entirely, I refuse to own one for SO many reasons. I spent the last 2 years learning how to ride on a one-two-five and tomorrow will be my first day on a 144, I'm taking the long-road to a 250 2 stroke. :smirk: I think 4 strokes suck because they do a lot of the work for you, especially 450's and most beginners who ride 4 strokes are riding way over their heads, only because the bike just does what they ask. On a 125, you've gotta 'build' speed, so think more understanding of the consequences involved with that speed.

Good luck with your decision, the 06+ YZ125 is a great bike. I'm a KTM guy myself, they truly make a bitchin' one-two-five and I personally wouldn't ride anything else. :bonk:

I shoved one of my 250F friends on my 125sx last weekend, I was injured and couldn't ride and his bike was busted, so he rode mine. He had never ridden a 125 before and after a few sessions of me on the sidelines giving him tips, etc... he got his pace up and honestly, he did his quickest laptimes ever on the 125 over his 250F. Now, he still prefers riding the 250F, but thats because it takes much less energy, he doesn't have to be on it so much.

Now, there are good things about BOTH bikes. On a 250F, you learn how to leave a jump face on the throttle. On a 125 you don't need to be on the throttle leaving a jump face at all. In fact (bad habit) I sometimes brake leading up to small jumps because I've built so much speed, I have to scrub it off and my abilities at 'scrubbing' a jump properly just don't exist right now.

Anyway, I do feel that riding a 125 is critical to learning how to ride properly. The problem is, a lot of people go backwards and once you've tasted 4 stroke waters, its hard to ride the 125 because it truly is SO MUCH MORE WORK to ride. It can get very frustrating and a lot of people buy 125's, just to 'say' they have them and never ride'em. I forced myself to stay away from 4 strokes entirely, I refuse to own one for SO many reasons. I spent the last 2 years learning how to ride on a one-two-five and tomorrow will be my first day on a 144, I'm taking the long-road to a 250 2 stroke. :smirk: I think 4 strokes suck because they do a lot of the work for you, especially 450's and most beginners who ride 4 strokes are riding way over their heads, only because the bike just does what they ask. On a 125, you've gotta 'build' speed, so think more understanding of the consequences involved with that speed.

Good luck with your decision, the 06+ YZ125 is a great bike. I'm a KTM guy myself, they truly make a bitchin' one-two-five and I personally wouldn't ride anything else. :bonk:

Thanks man that helped a lot!

I would agree that a 125 is a great bike to have that teaches you important skills. I still keep one myself, and I've been riding since the 70's (currently super senior A class offroad). I think you would really enjoy having one, but don't get caught up in the "this brand is better" frenzy. The truth of the matter is that they are all great bikes, and you can learn the skills and have a blast on any of them. I would urge you to buy strictly on condition and price, and not worry about what brand the bike is. My preference is to find a clean bike that is as close to stock as possible. These are getting hard to find, so you might look for a race bike that has minimal mods done by competent mechanics (rather than a bike that has tons of aftermarket parts thrown at it, but has never even been jetted properly!).

P.S. One difference between brands that might be of concern if you want to trail ride with the bike--later model Hondas are 5 speeds. The lack of a 6th gear can get irritating on connector fire roads and such. On the plus side, any Honda 125 in the last 10 years or so is going to be about the sweetest handling bike you will find.

I would agree that a 125 is a great bike to have that teaches you important skills. I still keep one myself, and I've been riding since the 70's (currently super senior A class offroad). I think you would really enjoy having one, but don't get caught up in the "this brand is better" frenzy. The truth of the matter is that they are all great bikes, and you can learn the skills and have a blast on any of them. I would urge you to buy strictly on condition and price, and not worry about what brand the bike is. My preference is to find a clean bike that is as close to stock as possible. These are getting hard to find, so you might look for a race bike that has minimal mods done by competent mechanics (rather than a bike that has tons of aftermarket parts thrown at it, but has never even been jetted properly!).

P.S. One difference between brands that might be of concern if you want to trail ride with the bike--later model Hondas are 5 speeds. The lack of a 6th gear can get irritating on connector fire roads and such. On the plus side, any Honda 125 in the last 10 years or so is going to be about the sweetest handling bike you will find.

Yeah I think a 125 is what I'm going to go with even though I really like the 250f's, just because of the fact that the bike is perfect for my size and weight (5'6, 130 lbs) and since I have to pay for almost everything on my own at 17 years old, I can save a bit of cash toward other things, also my skills should get better on the 125.