Sign in to follow this  

Gear Shift Spindle/Shaft Leak

I went to ride my bike today after work and noticed oil on the ground. traced the leak to the gear spindle/shaft at the trannsmision.

Do I have to remove the gear shift spindle to stop the leak on my 450X?

Is the an o-ring/seal that fails?

The Honda Service Manual does not show (I can't find it in the book) an oring or seal to be replaced, only the procedure to remove/install the gearshift assembly.

Thanks for the input

You can change that seal in 15 min.

You need to make sure you are emptying your oil HOT, and completely, casue if you build up an extra 10cc here and there, eventually you will have too much oil in the tranny, and it will push out a seal.

I went to ride my bike today after work and noticed oil on the ground. traced the leak to the gear spindle/shaft at the trannsmision.

Do I have to remove the gear shift spindle to stop the leak on my 450X?

Is the an o-ring/seal that fails?

The Honda Service Manual does not show (I can't find it in the book) an oring or seal to be replaced, only the procedure to remove/install the gearshift assembly.

Thanks for the input

Are you talking about the Countershaft (has sprocket) or the Shift shaft (has gear shift lever)?

Countershaft seal swaps out quick. Just pull the sprocket, and then the seal. Make sure to replace the seal, collar and o-ring.

The shift shaft takes a while longer as you have to pull the clutch basket in order to slide the shift shaft out to replace the seal. Just need to replace the seal.