Sign in to follow this  

Best Year For The Fuel-Injected 'CRF250R'?

Hey guys i'm looking to purchase a new or used Honda CRF, just wanted to know which year has the best dependability, and overall best setup, i'm really looking for a fuel injected bike like 2010, 2011, or 2012 bike. Let me know what you think would be the best buy, all i want is a dependable and durable motor, Thanks!

2012 is the best yet install a yosh or fmf pipe and remap and you have a 40 hp bike this bike could have made a national out door with suspension work.

2012 is the best yet install a yosh or fmf pipe and remap and you have a 40 hp bike this bike could have made a national out door with suspension work.

What can be done to the 2010 to put it on par with the 2012 ?

What can be done to the 2010 to put it on par with the 2012 ?

a 2012 head can be put on it with a little match work to the 2010 manifold i have tested the 2012 head with the larger body and theres little difrence you can also use a tuf insert in the large body .

RON

Do you know or can you take a good guess at what size TB the pro 250 guys are running, like Tomac, Seely & Barcia for the supercross racing, would you think if they were using the 46mm TB would they stay with the 46MM TB for outdoors too.

Chet

Hey Ron, thanks for the help, do you think the new rocket exhaust would be just as good as the yoshimura pipe? From what i have read you can choose a custom pipe length which could give me more hp as well, or is there just no match for the yoshi pipe One more question, which map did you guys use for yoshimura pipe test ad which exact pipe did you use to achieve 40hp?

Edited by BrandlinXR

I also vote for the 2012 - I had a 2010 for a short while and it was very, very nice, but the 2012 makes better power everywhere (especially in low RPM range) and at the same time is much quieter, plus the suspension, stock, is a bit more stable and better suited for 185+ pounders like me.

I'm almost done with my 2012 CRF285R project - Athena 82mm big bore cylinder/piston kit, rebalanced and aligned crank, Vortex ECU, FMF RCT 4.1 exhaust system and Megabomb header are already installed, and I'm waiting for my TUF/Ron Hamp 2011 head to get back from George Babor (BPM Racing, Brooksville, FL) who is doing a few tweaks to get it to work better with my 2012. I'm hoping for near 50 hp on race fuel with a nice fat torque curve.

RON

Do you know or can you take a good guess at what size TB the pro 250 guys are running, like Tomac, Seely & Barcia for the supercross racing, would you think if they were using the 46mm TB would they stay with the 46MM TB for outdoors too.

Chet

Kibby had tested the 46 mm from a 450 on the 2011 crf 250s he probally found the same thing i found a little tiny bit of top end he was using the tuf inserts in the 50 tb though i was shariing things with gieco but quit it wasnt benifitting me or Tuf .I have gotten much better @ keeping things to my self theres teams out there using our compnents that have done very well this past years and im not giving them every thing.

how do you know the tweaks will make it better .

Nothing major being done other than filling in the bottom of the 2011 50 mm intake port to make a smoother transition to my 2012 46mm throttle body/boot.

Sent you a PM with a few other details and some questions.

Nothing major being done other than filling in the bottom of the 2011 50 mm intake port to make a smoother transition to my 2012 46mm throttle body/boot.

Sent you a PM with a few other details and some questions.

thats what it needs its amazing the difrence it made in power i was going to puta parabolic flloor in the 2010 -2011 to acheive the same results but had not gotten around to it the 2012 head gave me the opurtunity .i have done 3 generations of heads from the base line 2012 head with out any improvement bigger valves and a lot of things i just dont want to let out you learn by mistakes also .

Glad to hear my intuition about the shape of the intake port floor matches your experience.

I would enjoy getting your opinion on oversize valves for my big bore project, but so far the name of the game appears to be velocity more than pure volume.

My dad was one of the first BSA Factory sponsored flat-trackers in the US. He sent his Gold Star tuning tips back to the factory that helped establish the BSA "Wrecking Crew" that dominated racing in the 1950's. He taught me a lot, and, yes, we made a lot of mistakes, especially in the trade off between power and reliability. Our engines usually won or broke. Sometimes with very expensive results. I think that's why I'm interested in the reliability of different mods as much as the cost to performance gains. I continue to be amazed at how reliable these little thumpers are when they are generating almost 200 HP/liter.