Sign in to follow this  

Help with muffler wrapping

Hi, I have a YZ450F that needs its muffler re-wrapped. It has an after market pipe on it and the original wrapping was burnt up terribly and hardly was doing anything. My question is do certain pipes require certain wraps or will anything work also some sources say to wrap the pipe with steel wool first is that necessary?

I watched a video where the FMF guy had to cut the packing pillow to fit his can. Is this kit a one size fits all kit? You'd think the brand making the kit for their pipes would have pre-measured stuffing pillows for the different lengths of pipes.

Packing is packing. I imagine it is less cost effective to make different lengths of packing for different silencers. Moose has packing that comes in pre determined lengths in a cartridge style and you just slip it over the core. But it also costs 2 or 3 times more than standard packing.

It's not exactly rocket science, cutting your packing to fit your silencer. Takes, maybe, an extra 10 seconds... Seems like a pretty trivial thing to have a complaint about.

Edited by KcDavis

in the vid it just looked like a bunch of spaghetti, and a novice pipe packer could screw the pooch and incorrectly install this packing. That would cost twice as much as doing it right the first time.

I have only attempted replacing packing in a 2 stroke silencer. I found it rather annoying.

in the vid it just looked like a bunch of spaghetti, and a novice pipe packer could screw the pooch and incorrectly install this packing. That would cost twice as much as doing it right the first time.

I have only attempted replacing packing in a 2 stroke silencer. I found it rather annoying.

You just need more practice. We have a bunch of extra fiberglass house insulation laying around so we use that. It burns up really fast and may not be as effective as normal packing but I'm damn good at packing my silencer.

You just need more practice. We have a bunch of extra fiberglass house insulation laying around so we use that. It burns up really fast and may not be as effective as normal packing but I'm damn good at packing my silencer.

I've heard it works really well in a 2t silencer where exhaust temps are lower.

Hi, I have a YZ450F that needs its muffler re-wrapped. It has an after market pipe on it and the original wrapping was burnt up terribly and hardly was doing anything. My question is do certain pipes require certain wraps or will anything work also some sources say to wrap the pipe with steel wool first is that necessary?

Useing steel wool isn't necessary. I have a FMF 4.1 on my YZ 450 and when it comes time to repack it I use FMF's 4.1 carbon packing kit. It is a two part packing which calls for the the stringy part to be wraped on first and then the carbon blanket.. All I do is line the stringy part up to where the end cap starts and cut the bottom part across (width wise)about a half inch where the can stops.This way you have a half inch of packing that will go down in the can and past the core a half inch. I then put some masking tape at both ends of the packing and a piece in the middle and tape it to the core of the pipe (it will burn up later). Then I just start wrapping it by rolling the pipe(core) making sure the wrap is tight as I continue rolling. When I have rolled all the packing on and get to the end I take a piece of masking tape and tape the middle first and then the ends and I'm done. Next i put the carbon blanket on that doesn't require any cutting. Just wrap around packing and then tape it on.

It may be a little bulky after you are finished but you can squeeze it as you put the core through the canistar. you may have to use a screwdriver or something flat to poke with as you push the core down in the canistar. I like the pillows better for packing cause it is easier to deal with but cant find where FMF offers it (even on their website) even though they show useing it in there demo vid.

DRD offers the packing pillow for their exhaust's but they seem to blow out at about 8 to ten hours of ride time. I can get around 30 hrs from the carbon 4.1 exhaust packing from FMF's. They seem to be real sturdy and well made.

The key to Exhaust packing is to just make sure you get it wrapped real tightly and not to get it real loose as so when you go to put it in it is so bulky that it wont go in the canistar.

I've heard it works really well in a 2t silencer where exhaust temps are lower.

All of our bikes are two strokes. It still gets burnt up really fast.

• Like 1