The goal is to enter an MX race....

I am in the exact same boat. Just bought my 8 year old son a KX65 and am looking for a 250 for myself. We are in the same boat you were last year it sounds. He is new to the sport as am I with the same goal as you. We are just over the border in WI and chomping at the bit for it to warm up.

If you ever want another couple riding buddies, my son and I would love to meet up with some others.

I started racing last year at 41. I was nervous as hell lining up at the gate for the first time and that never went away all season long. I bought my son a pw50 and he is decent on that but too big for it now so he's got a kx 60 for this season. I took part in a one day racing school and that was amazing. I was in 40 novice last year and won a few motos so now I'm moving up to 40 amateur. Once you ge that first race under your belt you'll kick yourself for not doing it earlier. If you can get lessons at your local track it's the best thing you can do in my opinion. Good luck and have a blast!

Awesome post. I am 38 turning 39 this year and still looking forward to my first race. There have been a few local races but for what ever reason I was unable to get my but out there to race. I have done some practice nights at the local arena cross track and that was fun. Riding with those guys is nothing like riding in the hills. I feel pretty good free riding but I am riding at my own pace and can go fast and go slow on my own schedule. Riding the track was exhausting. I chalk that up to be out of shape and nervous. On the second time out at the practice night, I was not near as exhasted and was quite a bit quicker. Mind you not fast but just faster than I was before. Had a golden oportunity to ride in a Grand Prix last week but didnt have the money to buy my AMA membership, transponder, race entry fee. Plus my bars needed some work so I wound up skipping it.

There is a local pro rider living down the street from me that I dont think is racing this year, I was thinking about asking him if he would give lessons.

Go get em' CooHead! I want to enter my first mx race this spring as well. I'm a beginner @ 32 years young and am trying to get my seat time for when the series comes to my home track. Figure it would be best to debut on a track I'm familiar with. My buddy who got me into dirtbiking will probably be joining me and he is 44 years young. Although he isn't a newb like me, this would be his first race in a loooong time. I am inspired by the "older" guys who are still getting after it. I can only hope to be as active with a grin on my face (like the one in your pic) when I'm not as springy.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Yea....many of us are smiling in that pic. It is a cool hobby/sport. Something a bit more cool about riding mx bikes than the average kid or dad do. I mean baseball and golf are AOK and that is good kids and dads do that. But something a bit more macho about MXing.

I will indeed post when I do race. If this thread is still alive in a couple months, I'll post it here....or, just make a new thread.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Coo

Hey,

Enjoyed reading your thread. I'm a 36yo, started in MX about 3-4 years ago. Riding in the Junior © class now, looking to move up to Intermediate (:bonk: class soon. Have a couple of good tips for you:

1. Check out crossfit.com for a good workouts. It's free and it will help your general condition a ton. Just a hint: as much as we all like doing curls they won't help your motos much.

2. When you ride, it doesn't matter if its at a track if you find some good corners, and ride hard. All these idiots talk about riding all day and going through two tanks of gas. If you are sitting down riding fire roads, it doesn't matter how long you do it, or how much gas you burn. Ride corners and ride with as much intensity as you can muster for 10-15 minutes straight.

Enjoy the journey....

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Sooo jacked to be getting ready for this spring. The weather is changing and the frost is coming up out of the ground. Wont be long now.

Scored a pair of new AlpineStar Tech3 boots for $130 off EBAY instead of $230 on line!

Figured I did so good there, I'd spend the money saved at RockeyMountain. Got a new chest protector and knee guards and T-short coming.

Spent another $11 bucks at Menards to get the stuff to make a soda blaster. Tried it real quick on the axel of the ATV that was siting there and it looks like it'll work well.

Got new bar bushings and a couple smaller pilot jets at the local shop (and a bunch of stickers from their sticker box....thank you HammerTime!)

Going to winterize the sleds and put em in the shed this weekend. Will get out the green machines and bring em into the shop. Will be wrenching on em in no time.

Been working out hard for 40 days now. Two days on and one day off. There has been a noticable inprovement. Can lift and rep a LOT more than when I started. Lauire even says she can see it. I'm always just under 200#s now instead of just over.

Had the forestry moer in clearing lanes in our woods (viloent machine that is....just eats and shreds EVERYTHING in it's path. Have a BobCat coming over soon.

C a n t W a i t to ride!

CooHead

• Like 1

It probably is nicer for you to hear from people like dirtdad but i started riding a couple of years ago which was at age 23. I was really bad… it took me a really long time to learn how to use a clutch and my first hand full of times at a track was very difficult for me. My first race was at Southwick on a kx125. I was totally lapped but I had so much fun that i have entered every race that my fiance goes to. At the end of my first season I was not being lapped any more which was a great feeling and i even beat some people at Southwick! So i guess what i am trying to say is don't be intimidated, when the gate drops remember your doing it for yourself and don't ever be disipointed if you don't place. Being a part of the environment will be the best reward of the day.

• Like 1

Yea. The track is open to public on Wed and Sat for practice, closed any other time. My instructor has access to it the other five days. even holds classes there sometimes. I will have my first laps around that Byron track with him as a private lesson. He has a big open event there once a year. He rode a YZ125 and finished 1:1 against a bunch of good guys on 450 bikes. he knows what he is doing. Nice to have the guy available. Private practice track. Access to AMA track...and money to buy $50 lessons.

Yea...I've been dreaming about that first race and gate drop. Thinking I'll just let everybody take off and leave and then I will tap it into gear and go. Start 10-15 seconds behind everybody. If I catch up the the last guy (guess he would be second to last as I would be the back marker) great. It will be fin to race behind, next to, around somebody. If not...maybe I'll start with the group on the second race. Or not.

You start out with that in mind...but when the card goes sideways and the revs come up, you find yourself right there with everyone else. I got back into riding several years ago after almost 25 years off the bike. I rode mostly desert and fireroads for the first several years. After watching guys at the track for a few weekends I finally got yhe nerve up to hit the track again. It was painful to watch I am sure, but I had a blast! I met a couple of guys from the Over the Hill Gang and they encouraged me to join and try racing. I had always wanted to when I was younger (spent a lot of time at Indian Dunes playing on the track, but never pulled the trigger) So I joined and dropped the clutch on my first race at 49 years old. There is absolutely nothing like being on the line when the gate drops! If you have a vet club out there, find them and join up. There is usually a ton of knowledge in the group, all readily shared. And the comraderie and friendship is even better than the racing.

Edited by wes513v
  • Like 1

Awesome posts guys!

Thanx!!!!

Super nice weather this weekend! Worked on clearing some more of our land.

Will be awesome to have a track around the yard to gain seat time.

I'm sure that and the many lessons with Club57 will net better results than I'm anticipating. I've see the 45+ class race...been there to watch. Know I can do it and with out being cocky, know I could go a little harder/faster than some of those guys.

But, like has been pointed out time and time again in this thread: The sheer fun of it will be the best. Talking and meeting ogthers, learning, just doing it will be such a thrill.

Can't wait.

CooHeadly

Awesome post. I am 38 turning 39 this year and still looking forward to my first race. There have been a few local races but for what ever reason I was unable to get my but out there to race. I have done some practice nights at the local arena cross track and that was fun. Riding with those guys is nothing like riding in the hills. I feel pretty good free riding but I am riding at my own pace and can go fast and go slow on my own schedule. Riding the track was exhausting. I chalk that up to be out of shape and nervous. On the second time out at the practice night, I was not near as exhasted and was quite a bit quicker. Mind you not fast but just faster than I was before. Had a golden oportunity to ride in a Grand Prix last week but didnt have the money to buy my AMA membership, transponder, race entry fee. Plus my bars needed some work so I wound up skipping it.

There is a local pro rider living down the street from me that I dont think is racing this year, I was thinking about asking him if he would give lessons.

Hey Condor, we talked about it before, but OTHG is racing at I-5 next weekend. Come on up and join us for a day. Buy a one day membershilp, sign up to race the beginner class in your age group and give it a shot. Most likely you'll never stop. If you are faster than beginner they will move you up to novice. The main rule is you can't ride faster than the guy who invites you. ?

Hey Condor, we talked about it before, but OTHG is racing at I-5 next weekend. Come on up and join us for a day. Buy a one day membershilp, sign up to race the beginner class in your age group and give it a shot. Most likely you'll never stop. If you are faster than beginner they will move you up to novice. The main rule is you can't ride faster than the guy who invites you. ?

I had some other plans this weekend but I am working now to try and move them. What day are you guys racing out there?? What time should I show up? It sounds like a blast.

I had some other plans this weekend but I am working now to try and move them. What day are you guys racing out there?? What time should I show up? It sounds like a blast.

The race is Sunday, gates open at 6:30, practice at 8, racing starts at 9. The track is also reserved for us on Saturday as well so you could do both days if you chose to. Go to othgmx.org for any other info you might need. Hope to meet you there.

The race is Sunday, gates open at 6:30, practice at 8, racing starts at 9. The track is also reserved for us on Saturday as well so you could do both days if you chose to. Go to othgmx.org for any other info you might need. Hope to meet you there.

How much is a 1 day pass? Do I need to join any other organizations? I was hoping to go truck shopping this weekend because I do not have a reliable truck to transport my bikes. I am going to try and barrow a truck and make it out there. If I go on Saturday and practice how much will I have to pay? Sorry about so many questions.Thanks I cant wait.

From the South website( the horses mouth thing) One day pass is $5 I think. The whole year is $45. Just be sure to join the Valley chapter. Check out valleyothg.com for the membership form and available numbers.

The OTHG is proud to announce that the 5th race of the 2012 OTHG season will take place at the I-5/Gorman race track on March 18th.

I-5 is known for its unique soil and track layout and is considered to be one of Southern California’s favorite motocross venues. With the help of the California Department of Parks and Recreation, the OTHG has procured this sought after venue for not just Sunday, but for the entire weekend.

The weekend of March 17th and 18th will not just be round 5, it will be an entire event.

Saturday Practice will be from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm. The OTHG will host a picnic/barbeque from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm with all riders and spectators invited. And there will of course be a social gathering from 5:00 pm until 9:00 pm.

Sunday will not only consist of our regular race schedule, but will include the FOX Racing Holeshot Challenge, the 2 Stroke Only Race and if time permits a Team Race.

Sunday, between Motos 1 and 2 there will be a raffle for an assortment of gear with the grand prize being a set of FOX pants and jersey, donated by our friends at FOX Racing. Each member will receive a raffle ticket at sign ups good for a chance to win any one of these terrific prizes.

Spark arrestors will not be required Saturday or Sunday within the motocross complex.

Hope to see you there.

Pete Anagnos

Track Information

Saturday

Gates Open at 6:00 am

Practice: 9:00 am-2:00 pm

Practice Fee: $20.00

Spectator Free on practice days

Camping Fee: $5.00

BBQ 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm

MX Social 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm

Oasis 9pm – till

No Hook ups

Sunday

Gates open at 6:30 am

Gate Fee: $10.00 per rider /Spectator $5.00

Race Entry Fee: $35

Transponder Rental Fee: $5

1-Day Guest Passes Available (see signups at the track)

OTHG Membership (optional): $35

Signups at: 7:00 am

Practice at: 8:00 am

Racing at: 9:00 am

NO FIRES

We will need to take care of our trash. The Park must be clean when we leave.

Address and Directions:

This is the closest address to the park follow directions below and you will be fine.

46001 Orwin Way

Lebec, CA 93243

From LA

North on I-5

Take exit 195 for Smokey Bear Rd

Turn left onto Smokey Bear Rd

Turn right toward Orwin Rd

Continue straight onto Orwin Rd

Pass the Parks and Recreation Office on the Left

First road to the left turn left

Follow to the Entrance of I-5/Qual Valley