Sign in to follow this  

Tracker XT550

Ok, a newbie to this forum here. I'm wanting to put a smaller front rim on my 83 XT550 just to pursue a tracker look I'm going for. I have an 18 incher off of an old DT. I don't want to spend alot, so where can I go to get it spoked up utilizing the stock hub? (SF peninsula) A&A racing?

I know Supermoto setups run 19's, but I'm hoping it work with 18's.

Thanks for any feedback?

If you get the spokes just about any competent shop can lace it. Buchanan Spokes can make any length you need so long as you can tell them what you need. After that, anybody can build your wheel including yourself. If you're looking for a shop in the Bay Area? I have no recommendations as they're all over priced. Mach 1 wants $150 an hour for labor. Berkely is a front for their Baja team and wants nothing to do with your bike. Scuderia... I don't know where to start. Hattar has the audacity to sell you a Yamaha and give you shit for not buying a Ducati (I simply reply, I like being able to ride my bike "every" day.)

I would offer to coach you on building your own wheel for a case of beer but I just don't have time right now. I love the idea of building a flat track style bike.

Edited by 1987CR250R

Thanks CR, I've heard about a Harley shop on Sweeney in Redwood City, I just don't want to walk in totally uneducated.

I'll check out Buchannan, and let you know if I get lucky.

Cheers.

I am running the front wheel from an SR 250 laced to an aluminum rim on the front of my older XT. The SR used the same hub as my XT so it was easy as pie. You might be able to go a similar route...

Thanks JD.

I'll check the local cycle salvage to se what's available. I'm not real concerned with performance.

(I'll just be blasting around town) I suppose the whole front wheel assembly could be used with a fatter tire.

Thanks for the input.