Sign in to follow this  

Can you make a kickstart lever from scratch?

Hi

I have a KX250 1987 model which to my horror I found out it is rather unique in just about all parts. I need a kickstart, as all the ones I have tried either damage the bike or don't give enough rotation to start the bike.

Is it possible to use a metal rod and bend it and have it hardened to the correct shape - or will this not work? Using a base of a correct spline from another lever?

Appreciate the feedback in advance ;-)

Cheers

Malcolm

KX250

WR250F

YZ450F

Aluminum anneals after welding. It's buttery soft. You can make it any shape you want but it may need to be heat treated. The splines are the tricky part. You need a broach to make those and broaches are expensive. But you say you already have the splined portion available? Why not make the kicker out of steel?

just make it out of a higher grade of steel, stainless will work well, is the spline you have aluminium?

if you must make it out of alloy then heat treating will be needed, some types of aluminium age harden as well which may be more apealing to you.

Aluminum anneals after welding. It's buttery soft. You can make it any shape you want but it may need to be heat treated. The splines are the tricky part. You need a broach to make those and broaches are expensive. But you say you already have the splined portion available? Why not make the kicker out of steel?

http://s1218.photobu...nt=DSCN6176.jpg

http://s1218.photobu...nt=DSCN6181.jpg

A friend of mine broke his starter shaft off on a Sat. and wanted to ride on Sun. So against my better judgement I told him I would make him one. Of course I didn't have a broach so I matched the splines to a tool bit for the milling machine and off we went, That was a few years ago and he is still using it today.

So to answer your question, can it be done, yes. Will it be easy, no. Getting the correct shape the first time I suspect will be the hard part. I would start with some copper wire first to get the shape. Then maby cut it out of wood to verify, then on to the maching part.

Edited by kx450f63

Thanks for the replies, all helpful.

Currently it is a forged steel, the spline is steel forged. So I would have another made from steel/stainless and then machined onto the old spline.

So a high grade steel would be the answer - would I have to harden it afterwards?