Sign in to follow this  

Choke knob wont stay engaged.

Have an '03 wr250f. Everything is fine on it except the cold start / choke button wont stay clicked out. When I release it, it just pops back into the carb. I can feel it wanting to stay clicked out. And it works as it should, when I pull it out. It functionally is fine, except that it wont stay clicked into the place I put it in (pulled out) .

I imagine this is a very simple fix. I read somewhere that it was actually a very serious issue though, and required really disassembling the entire carb. Any suggestions or solutions?

I'm having the exact same problem. It will stay out, but the vibration of the engine will make it click back in. If you pull back the little rubber seal around the outside, you'll see the plastic prongs that snap into a groove on the shaft to make it click. They may be damaged or worn out. I'm thinking it will be easiest to just get a new plunger assembly. All you have to do to change it out is unscrew it.

It's not uncommon for the choke to do that and I THINK the fix was to replace the choke knob assembly. Either that or the detent inside. If you do a search you will find your exact answer. If I remember right it is quite an easy fix

• Like 1

i just asked my roommate and he said his choke did the same thing. he removed the choke knob, cleaned it and put it back in and now it works good as new. might be worth trying to pull things apart to clean them before you go ordering new stuff.

• Like 1

To all you - thank you. Yeah the vibration from my engine makes it click back in. And your roommate? Damn you have it good; both you and your roommate ride. What state do you currently live in?

Perhaps this is just an issue from the 03' year.

yeah its pretty cool really. he rides an '05 yz250f, and I ride a DRZ400 SuMo, but im picking up an '08 yz250f this weekend which is the whole reason im on this forum! We live in Missouri.

Edited by Joester

The choke assembly is pretty much the same for all years of YZ250F and many other bikes. I'm pretty sure the problem with mine is the plastic is worn. Looks like the replacement part is 5TA-14171-00-00, that's for an '04, so it may be superseded by now.

If you love your new YZ half as much as I love mine, you'll be a very happy person! I can't wait until mine's back together and I can go ride it!!!

pull it apart, clean it and re-assemble. it shouldn't take more than an hour total and i'll bet dollars to donuts that it'll work perfectly afterwards. grit does work it's way into the assembly over time. just clean it up and you'll be fine.

Had the same problem with my 05 yz250f. Pull the knob out, spend $15 and buy a new one. It's a very easy fix.

I did realize its the easiest thing on the entire bike to take off. One nut. Amazing . However, I cleaned the choke knob........and now its magnitudes worse actually. It wont stick out when i pull it out at all. At least I have peace of mind that it's clean. As for $15...I would love that. Everywhere I look its like 25 or 28 dollars for a new knob. I dont want to spend 30 dollars with shipping on something that retardedly small. And yes the 15 extra dollars is a big deal to me. Paying out of state tuition for my current college has left me brokeish. Oh well. Its a really easy fix. Thanks yall for the solutions and input. Maybe for now I'll put a really viscous grease in the knob (not in the carb..) causeing it to stay out.

Edited by jbowles3

if i remember right there is a circle spring that kinda looks like a circlip. this may have been lost or just compressed. you can pull it off and stretch it out a bit and you should be ok.

wow. yeah that definitely is cheap! i have about 1000 zip ties in my garage. instant solution.