Sign in to follow this  

Question about a BB kit?

Is there a way to tell if a bike has a BB kit in it already? A friend at work found a 2005 "same year as mine" and the guy said it has a BB kit installed but ,can't find the paper work. I got my friend hooked on my Z and he wants one bad now.

There are possible signs;

Aftermarket cylinder = BB, as there are none that are not 94mm or larger that I know of.

OEM cylinder, well there are some signs to look for. Stamped or engraver markings a shop might put in.. look on the left or right side. Look at the vent tube, which is removed and replaced during the bore, and plating process. .. Usually some teeth marks from remove, and some compression marks from install, they are a loose fit after removal, so safety wire is used to retain, and or a chemical bond used.

If it is an S or SM and it has a single layer base gasket, it shows the cylinder has been off, but a three ply does not prove it has not,, could have just used a OEM 3 layer gasket on install.

Ask what brand BB.. if it is an Athena you can tell by looking, if a cylinder works less so, if he claims an OEM cylinder was bored and plated, then by who? If it is an iron bore old school BB, then subtract the cost of a cylinder works BB kit and install supplies from the purchase price

I'd think riding the bike you should be able to tell

One could only hope. :smirk:

He said, it was a cylinder works... It's an S and looks like a single layer base gasket...I got to ride it today and 1st and 2nd gear power ups were no problem.

Im running M/T 436 kit , and its got MT stamped on the side of the cylinder.