Sign in to follow this  

Bad luck on Xr 200 electrical problems

Hello,

First post.

I have just finished rebuilding a 1980 XR200 engine for a friend who rides a twin shock XR200A, and had it running well.

He took it out for a few rides and then it lost all spark. I had completed a full rewire and replacement of his electrical harness at the same time.

I like to soldier all the connections together so the voltage drops are low and because we hunt and fish in remote locations it makes them more reliable. Peace of mind really.

Carried out a full OHM's test, voltage test, replaced the CDI, checked the Stator, the pulser and primary and secondary on the coils and it all checks out.

Read most of the forums here to get some more ideas and printed off about 100 pages of posts.

So I removed the new wiring harness and ran only the four wires required to run the bike and still no go. ( I had also disconnected the kill switch)

I have had this thing in the shed for two weeks carrying out all manner of tests at it has still baffled me.

Had a pig farming friend (who knows very little about bikes) come around tonight for a random visit, explained the situation to him and he said........what's the plug like. I told him it was new, only two weeks old. but I thought what could it hurt to check.

We checked it against the old one and what do you know.........the new plug is shagged.

An almost complete strip of the bike to find out that it was only the plug. Just goes to show....simple simple first.

Via the school of hard knocks with these bikes I learned that no spark is usually a bad plug, I also learned to use NGK DR8ES or DR8EIX plugs. There is a ND version that also seems to be OK. That's about it, and I put in a new one each year.

I also like to solder crimped connections to seal them from corrosion.

Edited by chuck4788

Cheers thanks Chuck. This bike has a std DE8A plug. Will try the DR8ES and see how it performs. What is the ND version??

I have been following some of your posts and it seems you really know these engines well. I may have to ask for more advice in the future.

This site is great!!