Sign in to follow this  

86 rear shock questions

ok, so I buy this bike a couple weeks ago, took it out for the first time last weekend, been messing with the carb and notice a growing puddle of oil on my garage floor below the bike.

it appears to be comming from the rear shock. in searching for parts here http://www.babbittso...4KK0EKK04F2001A there is only two orings, #23 and nut #22 that I would replace.

I don't see a seal for the shaft? Is the seal in #15 or #16?

other than draining the nitrigen pressure off and recharging it, do I need to mess with the reservoir?

does someone have a pict of the marks on the reservoir clicker? I can't see anything.

my honda manual should be here today, but my experience with manuals is that the procedures are there, but pictures can be lacking.

thanks in advance.

There are many places on these shocks that could be leaking so you need to determine where the leak is. Most likely is the shaft seal, probably not available from Honda but there are 3rd party seal heads available. One potential, and very expensive to repair, problem is cylinder wear. Shafts can be replated.

No marks on compression clicker, just count clicks from full CCW position which is maximum low speed bleed on compression. More clicks CW increases low speed damping.

The rebound clicker (in the clevice) has four positions marked with roman numerals; 'I' provides least rebound damping, 'IIII' the most.

May not need a new nut but you do need to grind or drill (depends) the peen that secures the nut.

The shock is a 40mm KYB, there may be some rebuild guidance in the Suspension Forum

Fortunately they did not peen the nuts on these older shocks on the 200, at least I have not seen one in the 6 or so I have rebuilt for myself and others. The nut should be good. seals are available. On this old a shock the seal head is almost as cheap as just the seals, plus it has a new shaft bushing . While you have it down this far check the bumper, good time to replace it. Chances are its trashed. Availabe from Honda and aftermarket