Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400E- aftermarket ignition cylinder/keys?

I just picked up a DRZ400E and am in the process of making it street legal. I have a stock ignition cylinder mount, but no actual keyed ignition switch. Unfortunately, ebay is quoting at least 70 bucks for an OEM ignition, so that's out of the picture. Does anyone know of aftermarket options that have the same mounting diameter as stock? It looks like the diameter of the mounting ring is 1 3/8", but most of the aftermarket options I'm finding have a 7/8" diameter. Thanks in advance!

Edited by sevenpointsixtwo

Why not just use the E ignition switch? All you need is in the E switch. If you are adding a S/SM wire harness, just jumper the gray and brown wires together. Orange and red are the wires that need switching. The aditional switch position of the S/SM switch is to turn on the tail light (parking light) and remove the key.

• Like 1

All I have currently is a 2-position toggle switch mounted on the headlight housing to turn the bike "on"; no keyed switch. Even the E ignition cylinders that I'm finding are fairly expensive, which is why I'm asking about suitable aftermarket alternatives.

Ahh, so you just have the mount and not the swtch. If you buy an aftermarket switch, make sure it is the correct one - Key OFF switch open. Some, like for dirt bikes, are key OFF switch is closed to "kill" the ignition.