Sign in to follow this  

Groing from XRL to 450?

Over the past 9 years I have owned an XR600, DL650 and XR650L. I currently live in AZ where the trails never end. As my skills have improved I now realize how much fun a smaller bike with a ton of grunt would be. My XRL is fully hoped up (Engine rebuild, modified tranny, pumper, full FMF, dirt and supermoto... Yet it's still a bitch to wheelie, I can power up in 1st and clutch in 2nd, but it clearly has its limits. In AZ I can plate about anything, however I plan to move to Atlanta in the next year so I need something I can register there as well.

I am thinking about:

CRF450 (which model?)

WR450

KTM 300

I need to by used and will only have what I sell by XRL for (likely around 3K)

I need a trail bike that can zip around the city and can hold 70mph when needed. I also want to be able to loft the front end in 3rd. I may be wishing for too much.

I am currently leaning toward the WR450, if I can find find one for around $2600 then get at DS kit for around $400.

Thoughts, recommendations...

Wr sounds good, the CRF 450x is good honda, the KTM 300 may not be good for you, IDK about holding 70, but everything else they should have down quite well.

Over the past 9 years I have owned an XR600, DL650 and XR650L. I currently live in AZ where the trails never end. As my skills have improved I now realize how much fun a smaller bike with a ton of grunt would be. My XRL is fully hoped up (Engine rebuild, modified tranny, pumper, full FMF, dirt and supermoto... Yet it's still a bitch to wheelie, I can power up in 1st and clutch in 2nd, but it clearly has its limits. In AZ I can plate about anything, however I plan to move to Atlanta in the next year so I need something I can register there as well.

I am thinking about:

CRF450 (which model?)

WR450

KTM 300

I need to by used and will only have what I sell by XRL for (likely around 3K)

I need a trail bike that can zip around the city and can hold 70mph when needed. I also want to be able to loft the front end in 3rd. I may be wishing for too much.

I am currently leaning toward the WR450, if I can find find one for around $2600 then get at DS kit for around $400.

Thoughts, recommendations...

I'd check out a 450x, your best bet for holding 70 and it FREAKIN rips through hill climbs