Sign in to follow this  

Altering my sprocket ratio (KDX220)

I've dialed in a comfortable ratio of 14/48 for 90% off-road/10%-road riding, which hits a top speed of about 55 mph with an acceptable amount of torque for me. My question is will moving up to a 15/45 ratio (tallest ratio I can find in stores) seriously effect my low end for mainly on-road ridding? The sprocket calculator I'm using (http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/) tells me I'll theoretically gain ~14.3% top-speed.

Has anyone tried such a tall ratio before on a small 2-stroke. Is there any detrimental effects to selecting such a ratio? Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

Edit: Stock factory ratio is 13/47.

Edited by XUGG

you will not be happy with 15/45 offroad, you will be working the clutch hard. i had that gearing on my drz400, it was so hard to ride offroad, 13/45 was night and day difference. on a kdx, it may make it unridable

If your KDX will only pull 55 mph with 14/48 (3.42 ratio), something is wrong with it. It should easily pull 70-75 mph even with the stock 13/47 gearing (3.61 ratio).

Edited by Chokey

If your KDX will only pull 55 mph with 14/48 (3.42 ratio), something is wrong with it. It should easily pull 70-75 mph even with the stock 13/47 gearing (3.61 ratio).

true, my xr100 pulls almost 50 stock

Edited by jkenney177