Sign in to follow this  

2003 xr 80r engine build ups

I have a 03 xr 80r for my little girl the problem is the bike can't get out of its own way. i'm rebuilding it and was woundering what i could do to get a little more power out of it. I am going to open the exaust port a little. Any ideas of any thing to get a little more power i'm looking to dump 200-400 bucks into it.

The main thing about riding these bikes is momentum. You can't shut off and you need to keep them pinned. That means picking good lines and dragging bar through corners. You can't measure these bikes in the straights only, it has to be going fast trough two or three corners and a straight especially on tight tracks.

Get in touch with Terry at Firepower minis. He

bores and stokes xr80's to 118cc. I haven't riden one of his engines, but they are supposed to haul a$$.

He's located in Flint MI.

The problem with a bored and stroke 118 is you have more power than the stock chassis can use. By the time you spend the money for a 118cc motor (which aren't cheap), Works shock, some fork work, and either a welded in or BBR cradle, carb, and pipe; you can easliy have a 150R, which has 22hp and a ready made suspension and frame. I had a built 120cc little CRF80 with everything I mentioned and it was super fun, but be ready to put in some serious cash. Also you need to run a 17" front wheel for tire selection and handling.