Sign in to follow this  

Oregon Im headin to Oregon dunes from Alberta Canada a few questions

Hey, Im heading up march 17th to the 24th to do a trip and ride where ever we can. our mission is to hit the dunes and we plan on tenting it out there.

Any gooood spots to ride on the way? were headin through spokane and curious if there is some good spots to stop?

also what do I need to be legal at the dunes....insurance??? registration??? any help would be awesome and If anyone wants to ride shoot me up a pm, would love to ride with some locals.

Thanks.....Colin

Some of my favorite riding areas in Oregon are China Hat near Bend, and Browns Camp near Tillamook.

Dont need insurance.

Do need a valid state permit ($10 for 2 years), spark arrestor, under 93db exhaust and a flag.

No alcohol on the sand and obey the speed limit on access roads as they do enforce this.

You can camp and ride straight from Honeyman state park (Florence) during certain months or there's private-owned campgrounds with sand access as well.

At Winchester you can camp and ride from Windy Cove and I think there's a state run campground in one of the parking lots. Coos Bay has a staterun campground or two, but I'm pretty sure they're also built on pavement. If you got a 4WD you could always set up shop out in the dunes. There's some cheap hotels around as well.

I wish I could join you, but I'm outa town that week. Me and some buddies go there a few times a year and always have a blast.

Nice, so its ok to set up camp in the dunes somewhere? Would you guys know where I'd find a flag to throw on my bike?

honeymen state park looks nice but I wwant to find agood spot in the bush away from everybody.

You can buy a flag, flag mount, and OHV permit at the Yamaha shop in Florence.

http://www.florenceyamaha.net/

There are also a couple of other vendors in town that sell this type of stuff.

** There is a gas station south of the bridge in florence just before where the road goes from four lanes to two where you can buy super unleaded without ethanol. It is on the east side of hwy 101 and is owned by some indian people. Don't remember the name of the store though. Better for you bike that the pump gas in oregon with the ethonal added. You can also buy race fuel at NAPA auto parts at the north end of town.

any good tracks in Washington or Oregon kinda on the way?? were bringing our dirt rear tires too.

will I get in trouble for camping right in on the dunes or in the bush somewhere or is there even many cops out there?? Ill be there on the weekdays only so Im assuming it wont be to crazy busy

Dont need insurance.

Do need a valid state permit ($10 for 2 years), spark arrestor, under 93db exhaust and a flag.

No alcohol on the sand and obey the speed limit on access roads as they do enforce this.

There are a lot of retards that ride in the sand, and that does bring the law out to "manage" these types of areas..

Speaking of Retards, PinCushion and I, along with two others, were bombing an access road at about 45mph. The posted speed limit was 15. When asked what my deal was, i just looked him in the eye, and told him I had no excuse, and I was sorry. He ended up letting us go with a warning.

Anything you drive out on the sand needs a flag, and a OHV state permit (like stated above). This means, if you are taking your truck out in the sand, it will need a flag, and a permit as well... You should be able to buy the OHV tag at any local shop. To get the best deal on flags, i would buy from www.rockymountainatv.com . You can get a flag and a flag mount for less than $20. In the shop, the flag will be about $20, and the mount will be about $20 also...

Edited by BlakeLpd5

Thanks pincushion. Ill be ordering the flags right now, Ill just pick up the permits at florence yami. This is gonna be fun!

H loop looks like its all booked up if I want to book the whole 6 day week, no biggie. Im gonna try and pick up a trailer before the trip to make it a little more comforting. rocky mountain is out of flags. anyone know where else to buy them online?? Ive tried googlin and Im not having any luick yet.

Edited by ColinSiR

You should be able to buy flags and mounts at pretty much any bike shop in the NW (every one that I've been to anyways) Florence has at least two bike shops, Flo Yamaha and The Sportsman on 101 which has a small Honda shop.

if you wanna a warm up for the coast you could hit juniper dunes outside the tri cities WA. if you're coming though Spokane , presumably taking I-90 West, you just take 395 Sout from I-90 it will drop you on I-182 about 8 miles from the dunes. After you are done at Juniper you can go south to I-84 in Oregon and take that west to Portland and the I-5 corridor. Just a thought . you can PM me for more info if you are interested.

Browns Camp is a great place to ride trails. Straddleline ORV has a track thats kinda on your way. You got to check into the schedule www.promotopromotions.com. It should be open when you down this way.

Thanks everyone! I picked up a tent trailer and am just about ready to go!

looks like Ill be booking at honeyman campgrtound....is there watefront camping at honeyman? I would like to throw my fishin rod in the truck to bring with me.

I wanted to book H loop cause pincushion said it would be better access, but the campground cant be that big is it?

can I get away with setting up somewhere on the dunes in the bush somewhere? do I have to pay? I would like to camp for free if I could.

Well Im booked on the H loop!!! more excited now!!!

I hope I got a good site! I could care less about noise!

have fun, I love the dunes.

I was with Pincusion and Blake but I am not a tard like them.

do they sell kokanee in Florence?? last question I swear!

haha, ask all the questions you want! This is your thread dude!!! But what's kokanee?? Is that the new drug you kids are hooked on these days???

You don't need to drink that Canadian Swill when you are in Oregon. Try the Black Butte Porter, Hop Czar or any one of the other dozens of great craft brews all of which have a 6% or greater alcohol content. Trust me you will be happy!