Sign in to follow this  

KX85 top end

Hi,

I bought my kids a used 2006 KX 85 off craigslist for $600. I have a little bit of experience with the 4 strokes, have 2 TTR's and 2 CRF's, but this is my first two stroke. It "seems" in good condition, fires right up, doesnt skip or bog down, loud as hell....but I'm wondering what the best manual is for beginners like me? Im sure the top end will need a look soon, and I have limited mechanical experience, which is to say carbs, oil changes, spark plugs, throttle cables and chokes are it. What should I be looking at, and which manual will break it down step by step for me? Thanks!

Amber

Hi,

I bought my kids a used 2006 KX 85 off craigslist for $600. I have a little bit of experience with the 4 strokes, have 2 TTR's and 2 CRF's, but this is my first two stroke. It "seems" in good condition, fires right up, doesnt skip or bog down, loud as hell....but I'm wondering what the best manual is for beginners like me? Im sure the top end will need a look soon, and I have limited mechanical experience, which is to say carbs, oil changes, spark plugs, throttle cables and chokes are it. What should I be looking at, and which manual will break it down step by step for me? Thanks!

Amber

The first one you should get is the OEM Service manual from Kawasaki. You can order it right from Kawasaki.com or a local dealer.

It gives you all the correct info from the factory, but sometimes is a little vague on directions. For example, it will just tell you "remove this, remove that" but it wont give you more detail on the proper way to remove things. Thats what the forums are for. This forum has a ton of info and a ton of great people who can help you out.

2 strokes will be a little more maintenance, but it is much easier than working on a 4 stroke. There are no moving parts in the head of a 2 stroke, so no worry about valve timing, etc.

With a small bore like an 85, the top end most likely needs looking at. those small bikes rev so high for such long periods of time, the top ends just dont last as long as the larger bore 2 strokes.

you will also want to check all the suspension bearings and wheel bearings for play, but that is something you would also need to do on a 4t

Edited by jkenney177

Hey thanks. That gives me a place to start! I'm debating selling or trading it for a trail bike...haven't decided yet. I rode it and it's very very fast. But in any case, I'll need to do those things whether or not I keep it so thank you!

Amber

If you can deal with using a laptop for a maual, then PDF is the way to go. You can get them on ebay for 5.95. They email a link or something like that. Not sure. I get mine from the dealer who's a good friend.

The 85 is a piece of cake. There are little tricks to know, especially when it comes tot he KIPS. At the top of the thhis 2 stroke thread are stickies in the FAQ, read them.

Most are pictorials so they're very easy to understand. Other than basic metric handtools, The most you'll have to spend on specialty tools is about $150 and you can build just about any 2 stroke ot there. from 50-500cc

We're here to help and we have some very knowlegeable folks here. I'm just the resident dummy.

Edited by SAPPERS
  • Like 1

i found that the clymer manual was helpful... i got the pdf one aswell......but clymer was a lot more descriptive

and if your looking for top end kits you usually find good deals on ebay...