Sign in to follow this  

2 Broke Talus bones, recovery?

Hey Doc, I have broken my talus in both ankles due to them hyper-flexing on a landing. I am in 2 casts until Feb 22, and the process started Dec 31. Dr.'s said my right "wasn't as bad" so say the cast comes off and will function fine, but said the left had about a 1mm crack and several smaller ones, and is totally non-weight bearing. They are saying I will have a walking boot when the cast comes off and some rehab.

I'm not in a huge rush to go jumping back on the bike, this is a recovery that is more important for work and stuff than riding, so I'm doing it right and doing what I'm told. I'm wondering if it will recover well enough, best case, to ride comfortably again? Also was looking at Ankle Saver pegs. I've read reviews and am on the fence. Are ankle braces going to be a permanent part of my future?

I'm in the Navy and work on the flight deck of Aircraft Carriers.

Thanks

Broke mine and had it screwed back together. I was 12 weeks non weight bearing.

Went back to work April 4,2012 on the carrier. Took a test ride Thursday at the track, took everything thru the paces, 6 months off the bike, for what it's worth, feel fine. Deploying next week for 9 months, so even more time to recover. Thanks.