Sign in to follow this  

What is your suggested order of upgrades?

Being somewhat budget minded, what would all of you experts consider the most efficient sequence to making your X a real champ? I know at some point, especially with tuning, that many things need to be done at the same time to really reap the benefits. But, if you had to, how would you go about it one step at a time? Not just tuning, but the whole bike considered. Like tires, clutch, battery, everything. Hoping to start a big topic here. In terms of the exhaust, I know it's a contradiction to the budget, but offer an option to just taking the baffle out. Some park owners have a problem with the noise. My bike is an '06, but I'd love to see suggestions for all years. You out there, Krannie?

Really that's been covered more then once here in the forum. There was one where everyone posted their mods and the order they did them in and which they deemed worthy or not. A little searching should turn that up if it's not already in the stickies at the top of the forum.

And really, beyond the must do stuff (jetting, open up air box), it's more where you ride, the type of riding you do, and personal taste that determines what comes next.

ie. I don't run in rocks a lot, so I don't use radiator guards, but I do ride in lots of trees, so I do have bark busters. Some want the seat lowered, wider bars, suspension done, etc.

Jim.

Thanks for your reply. Did a search, but couldn't find anything like the question I asked. Certainly nothing specifically related to a 450X. The stickies just show you how to do a bunch of mods, but no one is going to do them all at once... at least I'm not. Yes, upgrades will reflect upon the environment you ride in, and that is something we all want to know. I'm not just asking this question for myself, but for everyone. Not everyone looking here knows that the obvious mods are cutting the airbox and re-jetting. If you had to do them one step at a time, what would they be?

Make sure your bike is spring properly for your weight.

Uncork, rejet, exhaust, the MRD full is hard to beat

Tires are really personal,I like the 739AT and Pirelli scorpion XCMH

Handguards.

Rad guards and a skidplate.

Steering stabilizer

sharkfin for rear caliper

That would be the order as far as i am concerned all the rest can wait.

Things that are nice/convienient

ims tank

fork bleeders

brp or TM rear chain guide

ims pro pegs

• Like 1

OK! That's what I'm talkin' about. Springs eh? I know I'm too heavy for my springs. I'm just afraid a stiffer spring is going to make a rough ride. Is that not the case? I like a soft suspension, and I like my tires to stay on the ground. What is MRD? Gotcha on the tires. When I got the bike, it didn't even have the right size rear. I'm using Maxxis IT now, and I like them so far. Georgia riding.... lots of varying terrain. Roots and rocks and ruts. Got a skid plate... hand guards were junk. May need to get some new ones. Thanks!

Look at the enduro engineering "evo" handguards.

http://www.cyclebuy.com/ has good prices on the EE handguards.

FLatland makes some great skid plates and rad guards for a good price.

Having the bike sprung correctly and sag set are #1 prioriy, then work on the tuning. No need to go fast if the bike handles like shit, plus you are risking your health riding an unproperly sprung bike.

MRD is a brand of exhaust, custom made for you at a great price.

http://www.mrd-racing.com/

Edited by Dust_Devil

OK! That's what I'm talkin' about. Springs eh? I know I'm too heavy for my springs. I'm just afraid a stiffer spring is going to make a rough ride. Is that not the case? I like a soft suspension, and I like my tires to stay on the ground. What is MRD? Gotcha on the tires. When I got the bike, it didn't even have the right size rear. I'm using Maxxis IT now, and I like them so far. Georgia riding.... lots of varying terrain. Roots and rocks and ruts. Got a skid plate... hand guards were junk. May need to get some new ones. Thanks!

Not the case at all.

Pre-loading a too soft spring to get your sag correct will in fact put you on your ass though.

Spring the bike correctly and use the compression adjusters to set the soft/hardness.

1. Tons of anodized crap, preferably Red

2. Black plastics

3. Skull Graphics

4. Penis shaped Valve stem covers

5. Colored tires

6. Colored spoke covers

7. A gnarly pipe

8. build a sweet jump

• Like 1

2. Black plastics

3. Skull Graphics

5. Colored tires

6. Colored spoke covers

7. A gnarly pipe

8. build a sweet jump

LOL :bonk::lol::smirk:

Here's my priority list.

1.) Number one, for me, is I want my bike to always start and idle easily and reliably. So, jetting mods and a good battery (install battery tender) are first.

1a.) Optional. Depending on how far I intend to ride the bike, a larger tank may be a necessity. (not so for me, so far)

2.) I don't like to get my hands whacked or break levers. So, full handguards are number two.

3.) Handling. New tires, new tires, new tires !!!!. Also, I usually raise the forks in the triple clamps to get the bike to turn quicker for tight trail riding.

3a.) Optional. Many run an aftermarket steering damper for more stability at high speeds. (I haven't felt the need to add one on my 2005.)

4.) Then, I want to go faster. So, suspension is next. Correct fork springs, fresh fluid, and damping adjustments for the forks. Set sag and damping for the shock.

5.) I always want the bike lighter. So, aftermarket header, muffler, air filter, Shorai battery add up to make a difference. They can compensate for adding handguards and skid plate.

6.) The stock skid plate leaves parts of the underside of the frame exposed, so a full coverage skid plate is next. I chose a plastic skit plate to keep it light and quieter. I also chose to add radiator guards (dang, more weight !). Per the shared wisdom of the Forum, I ground the inside teeth of the brake pedal to protect the clutch cover.

7.) Gearing. After riding the bike a while, I decide whether it is geared too high or low for my style of riding with that bike. Many leave it alone for overall casual trail riding. Many gear the bike up for dual-sport sreet use and wide open trails. I geared mine down slightly for tight trail riding.

8.) Clutch seems good to me. Many replace with a Rekluse to help them prevent stalls on tight trails. (So far, I haven't experienced the need for one with a correctly jetted and geared bike.)

9.) Speedo / Tach / Odometer. I installed a TrailTech Vapor and punted the cheap odometer.

10.) Comfort. I installed softer grips. The seat seems fine, to me.

11.) I want my bike to look different. So I add graphics, carbon fiber, and anodized pieces whenever I want to wrench in the garage and there's no maintenance to do.

Edited by Sofiedog
  • Like 1

Thanks for your reply. Did a search, but couldn't find anything like the question I asked. Certainly nothing specifically related to a 450X. The stickies just show you how to do a bunch of mods, but no one is going to do them all at once... at least I'm not. Yes, upgrades will reflect upon the environment you ride in, and that is something we all want to know. I'm not just asking this question for myself, but for everyone. Not everyone looking here knows that the obvious mods are cutting the airbox and re-jetting. If you had to do them one step at a time, what would they be?

Not sure why. I did a search on "best mods 450" and got 31 hits in this forum alone. Here BTW is the thread I mentioned:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/773058-best-mod-you-have-ever-done/page__hl__best+mods+450+__fromsearch__1

Jim.

Dammit. I haven't even read the responses yet but this was going to be MY post for my 06

Thanks for the link Dust. Lot of good info there. Looks like proper suspension is #1. I must get new springs. @ Krannie, after reading many of your posts, I thought you were the go to guy. Now I know you are more concerned with anodized red that fades to pink, and penis shaped valve stem caps. I didn't know you rode side saddle on that side of the trail. Guess I was barking up the wrong tree!!! :smirk::bonk:

2. Black plastics

3. Skull Graphics

5. Colored tires

6. Colored spoke covers

7. A gnarly pipe

8. build a sweet jump

Ditch the helmet too, and install an igloo cooler on rear fender! :smirk:

Edited by socalmatt

IMHO 1Fun 2 Ergonomics 3 Proper jetting 4 Suspension 5 Handling 6 Protection 6 Maintenance 7 Rideability(auto clutches ,weight, computers,etc.)8 BLING!

1) Protect it.

good tie downs, skid plate, radiator guards

2) Ride it.

spend a season on the best stock trail bike ever made IMO.

3) Search "Krannie CRF 450X" on thumpertalk.com

Just don't pi$$ "krannie " off!