Sign in to follow this  

Quick advice on another broken clavicle

Hey Dr. Mark. I have been looking around for x-rays to try and get a gauge of how bad my break is and I guess it does not seem that bad compared to others. However, I began racing as a professional mountain biker this year, but had a crash minutes into my first race leaving me with a broken clavicle. I understand I need to take time off for it to heal, not really too worried about that, but I am worried about healing correctly and being able to come back later this year and race competitively without having to worry about re-fracturing the bone from a minor crash due to a malunion or something like that. The X-ray is from day 1 at the ER. I went to an ortopedic and had another X-ray done (don't have a copy) a week and a half after the the longer bone slipped underneath the shorter portion. So, it is now butting up like and "L" instead of meeting at the top like a "V."

http://chrisavbranson.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/insides.png

I occasionally feel sharp bits of pain, but maybe only a 3-4 on a 1-10 scale. The orthopedic I saw was older and out of shape, so I don't feel confident that he told me to wait it out in my best interest and would like a second opinion. Thanks in advance.

i did this and it took 2 plus months form mine to fully heal up, i did not have to have any surgery on it or have it reset etc, but a brake like mine/ yours i think is the worst besides having it in two parts lol, it hurts like a bitch dont it, 2nd most pain full bone to brake in your body, when i broke mine i didnt know what happend if i broke my neck or what, it sucks cause evry move you make effects it.... i slept in a lazy boy recliner untill i could sleep back in bed

If it has gotten worse since the film you posted, in an L shape, I would repair it.

Surgery takes a day, a straight bone lasts forever .

ugh.png

This was my last x-ray, about 2 weeks ago. i go back for another x-ray in a week. If I don't see healing, I am going to tell the doc to operate (is this something I can do?). About the lines I drew, would the red more or less be how the bone would grow back and the green what it would kind of look like after it reshapes a bit? Just curios.