Sign in to follow this  

2 cross vs 3 cross relace question

After inspecting the new stainless spokes I ordered for my 07 sm wheels (stock hub and Excel wheel) I found the ones for the front wheel where a different angle and length than stock. After contacting the manufacturer they informed me that they sent me spokes that need to be laced in a 2 cross pattern instead of the original 3 cross because a lot of people were having a tough time with the 3 cross. My concerns are with the new shallower angle at which the spoke leaves the rim. The nipple seems to sit a little unnaturally on the rim boss. Anyone had experience with this? I've only laced it loosely so I'm not sure what will happen when I put it in my truing stand and start tightening. Besides, isn't a 3 cross pattern stronger?

Spoke cross absolutely has to match the rim. You can not put X2 spokes in a X3 rim or vise versa. Am I right that DRZ 400E/S uses X3? My KTM is X2. Both are fine but the X is dictated by the rim. Spokes will fatugue and break if you try to use the mis-match that you have.

Thanks Noble. That confirms what I suspected. And yes the original pattern is X3.