Sign in to follow this  

Oregon Dumbest move yet. Can you top this?

Besides the time I showed at Gifford with 2 right footed boots, this is a lulu. I have 4 bikes that I try and change oil all at the same time, except the yz400, which is leave to do by itself. Got the 250x done(my baby) got the crf100 done, then went after the wifes raptor 250. ran it the required 3 mins after the change to check the level. THEN REALIZED I FORGOT TO PUT FRESH OIL BACK IN. Added oil and it still runs...... A wee bit worried though.

• Like 1

Oops

I know the feeling.

Once with matching XR250, I pulled the swingarm off one and saw, hey these bearings don't look as bad as I thought they would.

Then looked over at the bike with the bad bearing sitting there ten feet away. :smirk:

Haha, mines not as good.

I mixed tranny oil at 44:1 for my premix. I put the quart of tranny oil back in my cabinet after mixing and saw the Amsoil Dominator still sitting in there and light went off in my head......

Wasted $20 worth of gas.

Haha, mines not as good.

I mixed tranny oil at 44:1 for my premix. I put the quart of tranny oil back in my cabinet after mixing and saw the Amsoil Dominator still sitting in there and light went off in my head......

Wasted $20 worth of gas.

At least you realized..$20 worth of a gas or a complete rebuild?? Hmmm...I didn't get the one above you about the bearings...?

OP, that's great it runs and all but that don't mean everything's cherry...You ran it for 3 minutes?!?! Time to pull the cylinder for sure...

At least you realized..$20 worth of a gas or a complete rebuild?? Hmmm...I didn't get the one above you about the bearings...?

OP, that's great it runs and all but that don't mean everything's cherry...You ran it for 3 minutes?!?! Time to pull the cylinder for sure...

He changed bearings in the wrong XR...doh!

I've done all sorts of fun things: put kickstart gears in backward (the the thing kicks forward instead of back), put crank seals in backward, picked up the WD 40 can instead of my beer can......I'm a work of art I tell ya.

• Like 2

Unfortunately I have plenty more - luckily I blocked most of them out of my mind.

Ready to leave for an out of town race, right after work the day before.

Better top of the radiator on the ol' E300 Econoline.

Grab the antifreeze jug and pour . . .glug, glug, glug . . oh . . . . F!!!!, the jug was full of dirty trany fluid.

• Like 1

Drained the oil out of one of my olders r6's, Got the filter changed, plug back in, everything all safety wired and ready to go. Warmed it up and went the take it for a quick spin down the street, got on the throttle and it was KNOCKING like crazy! I probably ran it for a good 7-8 mins warming it up, then 2-300 yards down the road before I shut it down.

Filled it up with oil, started it again and no more knocking. Ended up racing it 2 more seasons (sprint races) with a ton of endurance racing mixed in (1.5-4 hours) and never had an issue. Strong bike all around.

Mine isn't on a dirt bike, but was done on my bike "hauler"-a cream puff '91 Ford Ranger pickup (my $500 beater).

Two weeks ago, the battery got ran down on the Ranger. It hadn't been driven for about a month, the weather had been kinda cold, and the little battery just kinda got tired. I bump started it down my driveway, and then parked in it's spot, sitting there idling in neutral. I wanted it to charge on the alternator for awhile. It was around 3:30 in the afternoon, & I went in the house for something. Wife asks me an opinion on a vintage t-shirt design she's doing for Woodland, my teenage daughter has some sorta melt down over a pimple, or something, and I never did recall why I even came inside my house.

Evidentally, I also forgot I owned a running '91 Ford Ranger. I went outside to go to work at 4:30 a.m. the next morning, and wondered why I could hear a vehicle running nearby? About that time, my own personal "Idiot light" went on as I realized I'd left the truck running for over 12 hours..... :smirk::bonk:

Since then, I've given copies of my address & a map with directions to all my co-workers at work. I figure if I can forget about my truck running like that, I can easily forget to, say, wear pants to work, or something along those lines. My co-workers can then simply give me my directions back to my house, and tell me to go back home & get dressed.......

Jimmie

Edited by Mr. Neutron
  • Like 4

Besides the time I showed at Gifford with 2 right footed boots, this is a lulu. I have 4 bikes that I try and change oil all at the same time, except the yz400, which is leave to do by itself. Got the 250x done(my baby) got the crf100 done, then went after the wifes raptor 250. ran it the required 3 mins after the change to check the level. THEN REALIZED I FORGOT TO PUT FRESH OIL BACK IN. Added oil and it still runs...... A wee bit worried though.

Learned a small trick from pops. Put a piece of tape (blue tape in my case) on the starter button, key kickstarter, anything. So that you cannot start it til you've added oil. Takes 2 seconds, and you never forget. Again some a$$clown will probalby reply and say "just dont forget, how hard is it" ............. well obviously mistakes happen :smirk:

Hope it didnt get too hot. Funny to share though.

On one of the builds of my 67 Ford Bronco, I had it parked on an off camber incline, with blocks behind the wheels...at least I thought I had more than one block holding it...parking brake wasn't attached, and lots of the body wasn't all intact yet, but the rolling drivetrain and rollcage was there.

I don't remember why, but I kicked THE block out from under the front driver side tire, and it rolled back, catching my foot, knocking me to the ground. The whole rig rolled up my leg and stopped on top of my chest. My father watching from nearby ran over and pushed it off. Somehow I had parked my car on top of myself, but the only damage was to my shirt, it ripped. To this day I'm not sure how the angles at play that day, kept that much weight from bearing down on me.

Edited by Slackkinhard

Learned a small trick from pops. Put a piece of tape (blue tape in my case) on the starter button, key kickstarter, anything. So that you cannot start it til you've added oil. Takes 2 seconds, and you never forget. Again some a$$clown will probalby reply and say "just dont forget, how hard is it" ............. well obviously mistakes happen :bonk:

Hope it didnt get too hot. Funny to share though.

Good idea :smirk:

I have a "NO AIR FILTER" tag that I hang on the handlebars.

• Like 1

personally I would put oil in it and run it. the MOST I would do is pull the valve cover and check the cam journals, but really there isn't much you can do besides complete rebuild to know your fine. simply idling for that short time? i wouldn't worry about it. (this is all IMHO. I'm not an expert, I'm a college student that puts pork in a crockpot and forgets to turn it off the next morning before school and finds a black stinky mess when I get home from school)

• Like 1

Last summer I thought i would show off to one of my riding buddies how fast and easy it was to service my 06 rmz450 compaired to his ktm. In my haste I forgot to reinstall the oil fill plug. When I fired it up still on the stand oil shot up between my legs, into my armpit, all over my face, and clear to the shop cieling. I thought the damn thing was coming apart under me at first and must of let out some kind of girly squeel because ktm guy went to laughing his butt off.

• Like 2

Couple of summers ago I washed my wifes Audi TT roadster. It was a really nice day so I took the top down and pulled it onto the front lawn while I washed the other cars. Went inside and forgot it was still out there. Sprinklers came on about 9:30 that night.

OOPS.

• Like 1

In high school, just did brakes on my Mustang, girl friend called as we were headed out. Came back out and took the car off the lift and drover to her house, picked her up, drove to dinner and movies and on the way back the front wheel fell off. Was able to get it to the side of the road OK, found ALL the lug nuts within 20 yards of the car, other side had one left. Bolted them back on and never looked back.

Had a sweet Porche 914, changed the oil, got distracted, rolled it off the ramps and fired it up, hopped out and saw the case of oil, unopened in the garage and ran out and shut it off, Put oil in, no damage.

Seems motors hold enough residual oil to survive us for a while.

Had a guy in our shop years ago do an oil change in a water truck with a big old cummins motor in in. He fired it up and walked away for a few minutes, then realized he forgot the oil. I was not the top end that went away but the bottom end, $10,000! Bike motors are way more resillent

pulled gas tank off while forgotting to shut petcock off. wondered why it smelled so bad of gas as I left a trail of gas around the garage including over my gear bags.... gas stench takes awhile to clear out of clothes

• Like 1

Ha ha...these are classic.

Years ago, riding my '82 Suzuki Katana 1000 down a little highway not far from home. Rear end feels wierd, wobbling around, figure I must have a flat rear tire or something.

Pull over, realize I hadn't tightenend up the rear axle after adjusting the chain at home. Thing was loose as hell. Ooops. Hand snugged it up and nursed it home (without touching the rear brakes).

Another time, blew the forks seals on my brother's basically brand new '78 Suzuki GS1000 by using a bicycle pump to pump the fork pressure way the hell up. Why? No idea, I think it needed like 8 lbs of pressure or something. I guess I was just a stupid kid. Then managed to snap off the air fill valve somehow. Managed to fix it all up before he found out about it. He still has the bike, I don't think I ever told him.