seat covers/ staple guns?

ive been installing alot of seat covers lately on a hand full of buddies bikes and just wondering what people use for staple guns, i tried just about every hand spring operated ones and there not strong enough to get through the plastic at times, also tried an electric one and that was the same. thinking that a pneumatic one is that way to go but im just looking for some suggestions, also some seat bases have crevises/channels that the stapler cant get into, is there guns with adapters or extensions for them? thanks guys/gals!

• Like 1

I have not done a seat cover in a few years. But the last few I did I used my old powershot gun.

Its not as new as the pic but it got the job done.

Ron.

pACE3-996968dt.jpg

• Like 1

i use just a standard staple gun, the staples are fairly short though. the key i find is pressing hard enough when punching the staple in that the gun stays flush with the plastic. If ya are lazy with it the staple will just push the gun away and not drive into the plastic. i did two just recently on my two crf450s.

• Like 1

Basic hand held with T-50 staples. You have to keep it tight like mentioned above

• Like 1

I bought a Stanley electric stapler for the job. It will be used far more often than my old spring type stapler from now on.

I would recommend not going to Harbor Freight to buy anything.

• Like 2

I understand its all imported stuff but the stuff I have bought there has served me well.. A trim nailer for moulding,floor nailer for 3/4 in tounge and groove,a spray gun and a jack for lifting my road bike. Now if I was making my living with any of this stuff, well I wouldn't. Its not that good. But for the weekend worrior.Yes. And the uphlstery nailer, That will work better than an electric stapler . An electric stapler has a flat bottom. It makes it hard to access areas of the seat bottom.

• Like 1

I use an air powered staple gun that my buddy has for carpentry work. It works wayyy better than any of the spring loaded ones. My local shop also told me you have to use a air staple gun for seat covers (you dont HAVE too) but a regular staple gun only gets like 1/4 the staples in the whole way.

• Like 1

How about zip ties?

• Like 1

I have access to a pneumatic stapler @ work , i just did mine , it was as easy as taking candy from a baby ...

• Like 1

How about zip ties?

Funny you should ask...Yesterday I waned to ty some things under the hood of my car. I bought one of Harbor Freight's canister of ty-wraps. Super cheap at around $6 or $7 for about 2000 ties of various lengths. They are kept in the garage....where its cold. I went through about 6 of them before I found 2 good ones. It's like they are made of plastic instead of nylon and the little locking tab in the big end SNAPS off in cold weather. I won't use these for tie-ing anything "important".

I use a pneumatic gun, have to turn the regulator way down, or they go clear through the plastic. Bought one at Home depot or lowes, can't remember exactly, around 50 bucks, & 10 more for staples.

• Like 1

MANY years ago we used to use 1/8" rivits to attach the covers. You couldn't find staple guns back then except for commercial stuff that would work and with the metal seat pans that had the little folded triangles break off that was the only option. Drill through the seat base with the 1/8" bit, use a sharp ice pick to poke the hole in the cover material and then use a wide flange washer under the rivit head to spread the load on the material. Later they came out with the wide headed rivits and that was great.

Just an option for the plastic seat bases and necessary for the old metal bases.

Swiss

• Like 1

I went through 3 staplers at Harbor Freight for doing my seat cover before I finally said piss on it. The electric one didn't even get through 1/4 of the free staples it came with before it took a shit. I went to Lowe's which was closer and spent about 15% more on a much better stapler and haven't had any problems. Those little flashlights they were giving away for awhile......I think each one only turns on 4-5 times then it takes a shit. I also had the same experience with the zip ties. I was using a pair of their scissors and the damn blades fell out while the handles were still in my hand. The blades were stuck in the floor about 6 inches from my foot. Don't get me started on those P.O.S. rivet guns they sell.

• Like 2

I just use a standard staple gun with T50 staples. Like already mentioned, hold it tight to the plastic. I'm going to look into that upholstry gun at Harbor Frieght. I happen to love Harbor Frieght for cheaper throw away tools, and accessories. Welding gloves, grinding wheels, sandpaper, spry paint, and ect... Also, they always seem to have what I need when I need something quickly on the cheap. I just don't expect the tools I purchase there to last forever!

Hey, I don't mind buying tools that only last a few uses. Some of the odd tools I buy, I may only use ONCE. You just gotta adjust your expectations. Those crap tie wraps, well, I may go to Lowes next time.

Heck I got an air sander from Harbor Freight that I use with 3M disks to remove gaskets.I bought it in 1983 and used it every day except for 6 years when I didn't work as a mechanic.Marvel Mystery Oil in all my air tools. I've also bought some stuff from them that didn't last one use.

thanks for the insight, ive tryed basicly every single hand held stapler and 50% of the time they barily go in. and im pressing down hard. im thinking a pneumatic one is the way to go. i could use on around the house for things anyways....