Sign in to follow this  

wheel bearings

hey i was wondering if any one uses industrial wheel bearings. it seems each year i go through at lead 3 sets of wheel bearings. the moose bearings seem to to not last as long as the pivot works or all balls. but they may actually all be the same thing? from the same manufacturer? does anyone know a company that sells industrial wheel bearings that are the same dimension as the oem bearings? and if so do you get more bang for your buck?

Are you sure you are putting them in correctly? They should last longer than that.

yea i set them in and make sure they are greased and so that they ar e just kissing the center tube that is inbetween the 2 wheel bearings they say that if you pound them in hard against that spacer that they will wear out faster. and im not trying to say i am an expert rider but i finish in the top 40 overall in my hare scramble series and finish in top 5 of 250 b and our track are usually beat so the bearings get a good work out

Are you pling tue covers and packing tuem full of grease? I have gotten good service from the Moose and MSR bearing kits.

Overtightening axles?

Are you pulling the covers and packing them full of grease? I have gotten good service from the Moose and MSR bearing kits.

Overtightening axles?

Are you pulling the covers and packing them full of grease? I have gotten good service from the Moose and MSR bearing kits.

Overtightening axles?

I also repack the wheel bearings with grease. Make sure your wheel spacers are not grooved out. That will let dirt and water go strait to the bearings. I would use a good quality wheel spacer that has a steel sleeve where the seal rides. That will help with bearing life to.

Haha, meant to fix that. So so wifi connection and an i pad. Now, i will leave it since you said something. :smirk:. lol

The OP is in NY. MUCHO H20! probably the wettest climate I've ever ridden, I think the only thing you can do is keep replacing the bearings as needed, no matter what brand you run the water is going to eat them.

Moisture and dirt should have nothing to do with anything I think unless you are using OEM bearings and if and only if the are sealless bearings like the ones that come from the factory. I replace mine with Pivot Works bearings and the are all sealed. That and the dust seals should keep the obsolutly clean and long lived. :bonk:

Moisture and dirt should have nothing to do with anything I think unless you are using OEM bearings and if and only if the are sealless bearings like the ones that come from the factory. I replace mine with Pivot Works bearings and the are all sealed. That and the dust seals should keep the obsolutly clean and long lived. :lol:

Moisture and dirt should have nothing to do with anything I think unless you are using OEM bearings and if and only if the are sealless bearings like the ones that come from the factory. I replace mine with Pivot Works bearings and the are all sealed. That and the dust seals should keep the obsolutly clean and long lived. :smirk:

Oh shit mee too??????????????????? :lol: just kidding. That was on purpose.

Edited by Mark6299

The OP is in NY. MUCHO H20! probably the wettest climate I've ever ridden, I think the only thing you can do is keep replacing the bearings as needed, no matter what brand you run the water is going to eat them.

i agree.....and NY has nothing on the pacific northwest as far as wet. we go through rear bearings out here like brake pads !

Joe

i do repack them and remove the seal on both sides buttt i do not over pack them as i have been told that if you over pack them they wil "burn up"? but still my question remains can you buy an industrial bearing that will hold up longer?

i do repack them and remove the seal on both sides buttt i do not over pack them as i have been told that if you over pack them they wil "burn up"? but still my question remains can you buy an industrial bearing that will hold up longer?

explain burn up.

I pull the bearing dust covers off, pack them full of grease, then fill the space between the bearing and seal full of grease. I don't think you can put too much in there.

I am sure there are some stouter, more durable bearings available, but maybe with more grease and a little more maintenance you can get more life out of them.

Doesn't take much effort to pull the spacers on a regular basis and refill the area behind the seal full of grease.

Somethings up, I got over 5,000 trail miles out of my 08 ktm bearings, I greased between bearings and wheel spacers a couple of times is all.

Do you ride in a lot of water? I replace with pivot works and have had good life out of them. I really think greasing behind wheel spacers helps

with life.

yea like i said i ride rough enduro and hare scramble tracks that are usually wet and i do pack the bearings with belray waterproof grease and i have a set of good moose spacers. but back to my main question what are the dementions of the bearings it cant hurt to find a new bearing and try it out and see how it holds up

Most packages of grease say not to mix types, is there any chance the bearings came packed with a grease type that isn't compatible with the grease you added?

Just get wheel bearing from AllBallz and put some extra grease in them, I use to run the WNYOA series when I lived in NY (will come back for Dreamriders as well) but I would say from running that series for a number of years (wet years and dry) if you put new bearings in at the start of the season you will be fine. If you are going through them more often than that - something else is the root cause of the failures (wheel out of true, forks not same length, etc, etc).