Sign in to follow this  

took apart and re-assembled my first shock

on and 05 rmz 250 shock that i got my hands on to practice with before i go and maintain my shock. did the bleed procedure found on here through the compressor adjuster and diddent use the bleeder screw cause most shocks dont have them. but i was getting real wreckless with the pick trying to remove the large circlips to get the bladder cap off and the shaft assembily off, i made a few scrapes after the clip. i got lucky this time cause they werent deep enough to effect where the seal sits. just wondering what you expirenced guys are doing to remove these clips....thanks all!!

ps. i know i need a nitrogen setup for it but im just trying to se if i can do it before i go and invest the money.

Edited by davecarrr414

I use these by Snap On. They are made for pulling seals, which I do use them for sometimes. But the two stubby ones are great for getting out circlips. Even those mean stiff KYB ones.

http://buy1.snapon.c...&group_ID=19859

Those are nice.

I use a stanley pick set I got at HomeDepot.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/STANLEY-Pick-And-Hook-Set-2MV15

If you push the seal head down a fair way, you can push the ends of the clip down and the opposite ends comes upwards , grab it with long nose pliers and pull it out

The easiest thing I found I found in this forum, but I can't recall who to give credit to for it. As mog said, push the seal head or cap down as far as practicable, then use a small, pocket sized screwdriver or other tool to disengage the clip from its groove downward. This is usually much easier to do without scarring the bore than trying to move it up. Then insert a feeler gauge blade down against the ring and pry it up onto the blade and over the groove, sort of like a shoe horn. Works very nicely.