Sign in to follow this  

looking for a smoker

Well it's time for me to get a new bike and right now it's a toss up between a 250sx or a yz250 ( both 2011). I'm a fast c rider to mid pack b rider. I most ride open flat sandy areas but I do run tight trails also. I'm 5'11 215 lbs. I was wondering if anyone know the pros and cons to these bike and any help would be awesome thanks

To add bit more of a background:

Best bikes in years.... (Taken from Motocross Action, Dirt Rider, Transworld MX, MotoX UK)

1998 - CR250

1999 - CR250 and YZ250 (this is the year when Yamaha copied Honda's 66.4mm x 72.0mm bore and stroke and started to really improve the engine)

2000 - YZ250

2001 - YZ250 and CR250

2002 - YZ250

2003 - YZ250

2004 - RM250

2005 - RM250 and KX250

2006 - YZ250 and RM250

2007 - YZ250

2008 - YZ250

2009 - YZ250

2010 - YZ250

2011 - 250SX

2012 - 250SX

As you can see here, after 6 years of practically being stagnant in development, the 250SX has finally caught up with the dormant YZ250.

At that year you're looking at (2011), it could be an advantage for you to choose the KTM stock-for-stock features. But anything older than that you could either choose the YZ250 or the RM250.

Goodluck!

I'm coming off a 03 rm250 and I loved that bike I kick myself everyday for selling it. It just kinda sucks that if you want a new smoker you're pretty much limited to a yamaha of KTM. I not saying either bikes are bad I just have very little experience with yz's and I've never even rode a ktm. I have herd tho bigger riders complain about how soft the shocks on the ktm are.

Edited by Jwells221

At 215lbs my friend, any new bike you buy is going to have soft suspension and need some revalve.

I It just kinda sucks that if you want a new smoker you're pretty much limited to a yamaha of KTM. I not saying either bikes are bad I just have very little experience with yz's and I've never even rode a ktm.

Thats not totally true, for any kind of offroad riding the GasGas's are right up there with KTM, infact I prefer my GG300 over the KTM300's Ive ridden, has a little more agressive power and handles better. Also theirs Husky, Husaberg, and TM out there. I just like the GasGas cuz I have a local dealer that stocks almost every part for the bike (way more than the local dealer ever stocked for my YZ) and the prices for parts are cheaper than my buddies KTM. And even when I order stuff I get it in 2 days.

For what your doing Id honestly be looking into a KTM or GasGas 300 but the bikes your looking at are pretty good bikes as well.

Well I all but sold on the 250sx I'm gonna go with the 2012. I just like the ktm better, plus it's like 500 cheaper the the yamaha.The bad new is both ktm dealers near me don't have the 2012 250sx in stock so I'll be waiting till they get one. Anyways thanks for all the help