Sign in to follow this  

No motivation to do cardio!

Thats why I am a proponent of cycling. You suffer on the bike but at the same time it is fun...dangerous but fun!

get a friend or two, or more. When I had a buddy of mine a few years ago, when we were stationed together, we climbed, bikes, ran, skied. When he left, I didn't find anyone that could keep up with me, and I got out of it. Today, i'm in the same position. I'm not motivated to excercise despite the need to.

I had the same concerns James. Get a road bike or mountain bike and just try to ride a couple times a week and your cardio will go up like crazy. It works. Its fun too because you feel like a kid again riding a bike! I will never stop riding a bicycle now!

Thanks for encouragment Mike!

get a friend or two, or more. When I had a buddy of mine a few years ago, when we were stationed together, we climbed, bikes, ran, skied. When he left, I didn't find anyone that could keep up with me, and I got out of it. Today, i'm in the same position. I'm not motivated to excercise despite the need to.

I should get my riding buddy and go MTn biking. He is really into it. He rides a CR 125 at age 49 and hauls the mail.

Thanks to all who replied, I really appreciate you taking the time out.

I've done cardio 3 times this week. 10 min. on treadmill and 10 on the stair climber. I also did a little swimming.

Forgot to add listening to comedy PODCASTS helps me during workouts. Kind of makes time go faster when you can forget what your doing and laugh a little.

I need music! that is good!

This is ANAEROBIC work, NOT AEROBIC CARDIO. Physiologicly you ENTER aerobic work zone at roughly 20 min, hell even a proper warm-up with multiple openers ( when your going ALL_OUT to start releasing LACTATE - ACID BUFFERS ) is at least 30 min in length. HIIT is great for final build-up for a specific, targeted race or event. The reason you feel SO worked is that your using your ANAEROBIC ENGINE without an AEROBIC FOUNDATION, without that foundation your recovery times are going to be way out of wack! Try this next time you do your HIIT routine, do reverse builds start with 5 sec max 2 min recovery then 10 sec max 2min recovery, 15 sec max and so on to complete failure. give your self ( we'll be nice to start with ) 10 min to recover start with 10 sec max this time, same 2 min recovery again to failure.

Want to do better? Then INVEST in BASE TRAINING, PURE AEROBIC CARDIO WORK!!! The objective of BASE training is to build your AEROBIC ENGINE, Train your body to readily burn fat, increase your VO2 MAX, increase the power out put your body is capable of producing at a LOW heart rate ( former professional cyclist athlete of mine, meaning that I coached ) ended his cycling career producing 350 watts at 132 BPM. Thats a race changer!

Just remember professional "BURST" athletes spend a large part of their training season doing endurance work. Why you might be asking yourself? Well it's really simple, if you can produce 350 watts @ 132 BPM think of what the power output is going to be at 225 BPM his TRUE ( LAB TESTED ) heart rate limit is going to be!? 1400 + watts!... What this means is you can pick your bike up more times, you can ride further, you can ride more difficult terrain, you have a clearer head.

There are NO quick easy ways of becoming fit. BUT! BASE has HUGE bonuses, in that BASE is cumulative, I often ride with my athletes whom are 1/2 - 1/3 my age and leave them panting, because my cumulative BASE means I'm NEVER out of breath, and my rate of recovery is VERY fast. But this is a payoff from DECADES of physical exertion and training.

Trying tone encouraging, but REALISTIC about what training is going to get you what.

I'm looking into this!

for wreslting cardio alot this year we did short runs came directly inside from the cold and started working alot of reps with really low weight for about an hour and a half (100 squats of 100 lbs later :lol: ), probably one of the hardest workouts i've ever had... that + the runs we did are just awesome for cardio, pluss our coach made us run on offroad paths so we were running the cross country courses every couple days, it kept it interesting for us.

my sugguestion would be though to try instead of inside exercise, get a cheap road bike and go for a long ride, it's nice because it lets you focus on different things at the same time, keeps you alert and the time flys by, try the low weight thing from a short hard run too i noticed an incredible improvement in my stamina.

but now i'm a lard ass and need to start this stuff again because wrestlings over and i've been eating! alot... :lol::bonk:

Wrestling is good! I went to Dan Gable camp. He made us do 15 minute matches. No joke! lol!

I would say that there are VERY FEW people who actually ENJOY doing cardio. Most will see good cardio as a means to an end. That is what keeps them on the treadmill. I would say that if you or anybody is doing cardio just for the sake of doing cardio you not like it, you will get bored and you will quit. Agreed?

I would venture to say that RV2 does not LIKE doing cardio. But I don't think there is any doubt in anyones mind that he does cardio. So why does he (or anybody) do it? 'Cuase they got their eye on the prize!! He knows that he has got to bust his ass doing his cardio workouts to stay on top.

You have got to decide what your PRIZE is and is it worth all the pain and suffering to get it. Because hard core cardio does equal pain and suffering.

I don't like running. But I set some goals for myself and that has helped keep me motivated. (I want to be able to do a 5K in under 25 mins). Knowing all along that it will also help with my riding endurance. Know each time I run it's kinda like a race. I am testing myself to see if I can beat my last time.

Recently I have mixed in rowing on the Concept 2 machine at the gym. Rowing is great. You can bust your butt on that machine and there is virtually no impact on the knees. (I'm getting old)

So - Figure out why you want to cardio. Mix it up for sure. (cycle, spin, run, row, ride) put on some groovy tunes and get after it!

I need that prize! good point. !!!

Wrestling is good! I went to Dan Gable camp. He made us do 15 minute matches. No joke! lol!

yea our coach came from being trained under gable, guys scary as hell! he had us do 30 mins of live wrestling, i puked twice in the process, that was during two a days with three mile runs every morning that you had to do in the weight specified time they gave you.

because of stuff like that we have 4 guys going for state titles right now! and no we're not bettendorf!

get together with some friends to exersize(train) all month long ,then get the gloves out !!!!After you find out how long two minutes is for the first round you will want to do more cardio. after a few months you will be boxing more rounds.This is a good motivator that worked for me punch or get punched. one other trick we learned, try doing cardio with a mouth gaurd in this sucks at first but the gains are great.

Punching bag $55

gloves$40

mouth gaurd $8

Punching your freind in the face Priceless

making a compettion out of working out really worked for me

yea our coach came from being trained under gable, guys scary as hell! he had us do 30 mins of live wrestling, i puked twice in the process, that was during two a days with three mile runs every morning that you had to do in the weight specified time they gave you.

because of stuff like that we have 4 guys going for state titles right now! and no we're not bettendorf!

30 mins. live wrestling?? that is brutal!

get together with some friends to exersize(train) all month long ,then get the gloves out !!!!After you find out how long two minutes is for the first round you will want to do more cardio. after a few months you will be boxing more rounds.This is a good motivator that worked for me punch or get punched. one other trick we learned, try doing cardio with a mouth gaurd in this sucks at first but the gains are great.

Punching bag $55

gloves$40

mouth gaurd $8

Punching your freind in the face Priceless

making a compettion out of working out really worked for me

Boxing!!! That would be fun! My buddyis slender and ripped, Him at 49 and me at 40, he would whip my tail. lol! He would be quick and out point me for sure! I would have to get

that power punch to his chin. !

So how's everybody doin' in the motivation dept.? Being lighter longer for those in the N hemisphere should help some...... Also the threat of havin' your buddies BUST YOUR BALLS! for bein' out of shape should be weighing heavier on some of your shoulders. GR8 motivation! slacker :bonk:

Kettle bells or p90x. You will get as fit as you need with either of these....

I find I get the best workouts from power-lifting, after deadlifting 400 pounds, doing the clean and press and squats my body is destroyed for a couple days.

I do cardio towards a goal, I usually do a few 5/10k's a year and that is what I train toward. Keeps you focused during workouts.

Edited by fivepointnine

JW,

Sorry to hear you have not been feeling the motivation on the treadmill lately!

First and foremost I always tell people that if you hate a workout, (running on treadmill) it will be nearly impossible to stay commited to that routine.

You have to find something you enjoy that will give you a cardio benefit as well.

I personally like outdoor cycling and meeting up for group rides that take place every week all over the place. This keeps me motivated and the competitive drive going!

There is also, tennis, swimming, racquetball, jump roping, hiking and others...

I would just reccomend mixing it up so you don't get burnt out.

The spin class is a great idea and being in the class with a good instructor will help keep you motivated. The spin bike will also be easy on your knees, but will not help with bone density like running will.

Hope this helps!

Ride On!

Jamie Lanza

B.S. Kinesiology

Ride Open Tours

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but true cardio STARTS at 1.5 HOURS. Prior to that your using more of your ANAEROBIC engine. Physiologicly (sp?) that's just the way we're built.

:thumbsup:

Tell that to Chris Carmichael --- he doesn't believe you -- :thumbsup: . Building up a huge LSD base is nice if you have the time and genuinely enjoy the process, but its not really needed for a moto oriented sportsman. (well, maybe more so if your into GNCC's or something)

but back to true cardio starting at 1.5 hours --- if i go for a recovery ride and stay at 135bpm for an hour, that is definitely not anaerobic

I spent a lot of years abiding to the old Eddie B school of thought that the winter months were devoted to rollers, the early spring had a lot of LSD rides and it was time to start worrying about getting into race shape in late March, early April so you'll be flying by June and be able to maintain that for a couple of months.

But guess what? The typical American racing schedule consists of far more criteriums and circuit races than long distance events. It doesn't make sense to spend that much time putting in base miles when your average race is 45 -75 minutes long and done at over 170 bpm with out of the saddle sprints out of every other corner,

Carmichael put out a book called "The Time Crunched Cyclist" that addresses this nicely. He is marketing this notion towards middle aged guys with busy lives outside of cycling who can only put on 6-10 hours a week on the bike. This is for guys who want to compete in the aforementioned local crits or track events , and still maintain some balance with everything else, --- but it fits nicely into a moto oriented program because we need to budget a little bit of time for moderate strength training as well as skill specific training on the motorcycle

---- sorry for venturing a bit off topic --- but getting shelled in a local Cat 5 criterium their first time out would give most anybody the motivation to tune up their engine a bit

-- OP, motivation is a tricky thing -- i just posted a thread about not being motivated to ride my motorcycle --- even though i'll still tear up a mountain bike course -- i am hoping im just going through a phase. Maybe it is that way for you with your cardio.

Since i spoke briefly about bicycle racing in response to Watige420's post, i will add that i also race bicycles , --- without having an event to "get up" for , it is also hard for me to mindlessly go pound out laps or spin on a trainer. --- Maybe you can find an event a couple of months down the road like a 10k run/jog event or a low key cycling event if you have a bike, and use that as your target. Building up enough fitness to not come in last at your local age group 5k or charity bike race/ride is a good motivator for me

Edited by DMC707

I would rather say that Chris has a wide variety of programs. However at the elite program levels and above he does indeed include base in the program. Now if it's a masters racer he may do away with with base if the athlete shows that they have enough foundation, and their time would be better spent on other areas that need work.

Two things to keep in mind here, 1) base works on the bodies endurance systems. Those functions that, if properly trained allow us to go long and hard. NOT the fastest, more like 85% for 45 min motos WITH a few maximal efforts thrown in there. Then if you've paid attention to how the pros do it, they jump on a road bike on a trainer between motos. At this point physiologically the body starts to view this the same as a bicycle road race, roll out, tempo, breakaway/chase, recovery, tempo and so on till the final sprint. Shorter races just compress the timeline, track is different animal on a bicycle so we won't go there. AND yes for a bicycle track racer Chris's shortened up training protocol is probably spot on, or close to it.

2) Base is done to change the way your body responds to various stresses. This is done through the physiologic changes that come about BECAUSE of the changes that take place during base.

These include: 1) Training/Teaching the body to view and use FAT as a viable FUEL source 2) Increased/Improved vascular system, think capillary growth... everywhere. Muscles clear waste and get fuel faster. Lungs absorb/process more oxygen. Mind stays fresher longer, meaning you'll go faster longer TOO. 3) MORE POWER at LOW HEART RATE. This wins races. Heart rate is just a tachometer for your heart and your heart just like a motor has a redline. SO producing more power at lower RPMs ain't bad, just means your upper end potential is that much greater. This equals faster crash recoveries, easier bike pick-ups, not fading at the end of a race, finishing a race and realizing you had a lot more that you could have left on the track, ETC.

BASE, however, is not the be all end all of training... it's SAY IT WITH ME KNOW! FOUNDATION WORK! You need other training too, ANAEROBIC TRAINING. This is the training that makes you feel like you just got worked over. Were everything burns and hurts. That training. AND during that training, rest is probably more important than time spent tearing your body down. Also remember the gains made through ANAEROBIC work are fleeting you can only hold a true peak for a few days, at best, if you go 100%. Why it's good to NOT to have to go 100%, better to only have to go 80-95%.

To the OP, the motivation here is improved fitness gained through low stress/impact exercise, that will prepare you for more strenuous exercise that is now sustainable because of the foundation work already done.

You ever try some pre-workout supplements? USPlabs makes a product called Jack3d that works pretty good. I wouldn't recommend it to young kids or anything but I will definately get you in the mood to put in a hard workout.

You ever try some pre-workout supplements? USPlabs makes a product called Jack3d that works pretty good. I wouldn't recommend it to young kids or anything but I will definately get you in the mood to put in a hard workout.

I like the arginine supplements and NO boosters. Jack3d is something that should be approached cautiously if you've never used a supplement like that before --- it hits like a sldgehammer, but results in an energy nosedive later (in me ) --- i would say it loosely does what it is advertised to do, but probably not the best thing to take before a cardio session -- but great for strength training----- if it spikes your heart rate while you are just sitting still, imagine what it does when you are running or cycling vigorously.

A product that has a much smoother effect is NO Xplode

To the OP, the motivation here is improved fitness gained through low stress/impact exercise, that will prepare you for more strenuous exercise that is now sustainable because of the foundation work already done.

Watige420 knows his stuff kiddies. We exchanged some dialogue outside of the thread concerning training pholosophy that would bore the heck out of most of you, ----- although we differ a bit in opinions on some things, it is mainly because i do not concentrate on endurance oriented cycling -- plus his knowledge is at the instructor level while my knowledge base is as a pupil.

Watige has roughly the same opinion of a motorcycling luminary , Dr Jeff Spencer, that i have of Chris Carmichael. ---- The only reason i mention this is that before Dr Spencer became the team Dr. for Lance Armstrong's USPS team, he provided the same service for Team Honda in the 80's. Back then, guys like David Bailey, Johnny O'Mara, Jeff Stanton and Bob Hannah were fit enough to compete in expert class cycling and triathlon events as well as pro motocross.

Some of this info could surely help a few of us non-pros stay in the game at the 2 hour mark of a long hare scramble

But............... (again with the thread drift) -- before you start worrying about things like peak anaerobic power and watts produced at Zone 1,2,3,4,5 --- probably best to be able to stay on the machine for 20 minutes for starters without getting bored

-- so load the ipod up with some Sisqo or Slayer and get to it !

This threads been a great read, I've really enjoyed it so far and hope it continues. Some great info from less than expert level to expert level ideas. Unfortunately for me a lot of your info is above my head but Im learning and enjoy it anyway!

I just wanted to mention, if one does not find excesizes weather it's building muscle, cardio or whatever that they will stick to, it's no good no matter how good it is. I've learned to start smaller but with things that I will stick to and as my interest grows so will my excersizes and learning process of them.

I like the arginine supplements and NO boosters. Jack3d is something that should be approached cautiously if you've never used a supplement like that before --- it hits like a sldgehammer, but results in an energy nosedive later (in me ) --- i would say it loosely does what it is advertised to do, but probably not the best thing to take before a cardio session -- but great for strength training----- if it spikes your heart rate while you are just sitting still, imagine what it does when you are running or cycling vigorously.

A product that has a much smoother effect is NO Xplode

I agree if can really hit but it also seems different for everyone who takes it. I don't ever energy nosedive on it. I've never crashed on it like if I were to drink too much coffee. I've checked my beats per minute off it and on it during a workout and didn't seem to be much different. USPlabs doesn't add filler to the products they make and its up to the user on how much he takes. Just saying.