Sign in to follow this  

Supercross "The Field" in Supercross

Winning a "Supercross" is about scenarios. When I look at the sport I see all the sponsors from sports drinks, to parts, gear, etc etc..From week to week all the teams and their riders say they have to go back and make some changes on the bike, front tire, suspension, whatever...And believe me I understand. You do what you have to in order to win. I get it. I'm not mad at that. But what I see and it probably began with the Mcgrath "era" is you see only a few riders vieing for a WIN, and/or a championship. You see Lites guys dominate the previous year and we often wonder if "that guy" IF on a 450 would win a supercross race because his times were a 1.5 sec slower per lap or better, on a 250. But when the lites guy moves up into the supercross class he finishes around 8-12 and is pretty quiet. The "buzz" is gone. The rider "gets in line". The fight isn't really there so he'll just hang around for a couple of years and "hope" the "win scenario" comes his way. And when it comes, the rider NOW believes he can win. Smooth sailing from here. HE didn't win the traditional way. He didn't win it straight up. He didn't beat the #1 guy.

What better way to learn and "the field" should be excited to BATTLE with the JAmes Stewarts, Chad Reeds, Ryan Villopotos, and Ryan Dungey(he needs to turn the throttle more) and so on. What better way TO LEARN. You've worked out all year, the bike is smooth like butter and the only thing you have to do is show up!! And when you look over to your left or right you will see james Bubba stewart, Reed, villopoto and so on. SHow time!! I think it's there one decides whether they are going to get after it. It's there, GUT check time. Either you have HEART or you don't..At least to WANT to get UP FRONT and understand and will..It's a different race up front..

And I'm no expert, but I know when you are a Professional you won't hope for scenarios in order to win. I just think that "the field" needs to step it the hell up. There are too many champions, from the Lites class on that line who act like they just started racing a week ago. They have all the sponsors, and EVERYTHING, BUT it seems like they aren't pushing the envelope enough.

'THE FIELD" is slacking..They need to step it up and quit hoping for the right "scenario" in order to win. Like other people crashing out, injuries or whatever. If you don't trust in yourself and your abilities who else will..

Winning a "Supercross" is about scenarios. When I look at the sport I see all the sponsors from sports drinks, to parts, gear, etc etc..From week to week all the teams and their riders say they have to go back and make some changes on the bike, front tire, suspension, whatever...And believe me I understand. You do what you have to in order to win. I get it. I'm not mad at that. But what I see and it probably began with the Mcgrath "era" is you see only a few riders vieing for a WIN, and/or a championship. You see Lites guys dominate the previous year and we often wonder if "that guy" IF on a 450 would win a supercross race because his times were a 1.5 sec slower per lap or better, on a 250. But when the lites guy moves up into the supercross class he finishes around 8-12 and is pretty quiet. The "buzz" is gone. The rider "gets in line". The fight isn't really there so he'll just hang around for a couple of years and "hope" the "win scenario" comes his way. And when it comes, the rider NOW believes he can win. Smooth sailing from here. HE didn't win the traditional way. He didn't win it straight up. He didn't beat the #1 guy.

What better way to learn and "the field" should be excited to BATTLE with the JAmes Stewarts, Chad Reeds, Ryan Villopotos, and Ryan Dungey(he needs to turn the throttle more) and so on. What better way TO LEARN. You've worked out all year, the bike is smooth like butter and the only thing you have to do is show up!! And when you look over to your left or right you will see james Bubba stewart, Reed, villopoto and so on. SHow time!! I think it's there one decides whether they are going to get after it. It's there, GUT check time. Either you have HEART or you don't..At least to WANT to get UP FRONT and understand and will..It's a different race up front..

And I'm no expert, but I know when you are a Professional you won't hope for scenarios in order to win. I just think that "the field" needs to step it the hell up. There are too many champions, from the Lites class on that line who act like they just started racing a week ago. They have all the sponsors, and EVERYTHING, BUT it seems like they aren't pushing the envelope enough.

'THE FIELD" is slacking..They need to step it up and quit hoping for the right "scenario" in order to win. Like other people crashing out, injuries or whatever. If you don't trust in yourself and your abilities who else will..

Sounds like you have a plan. What's your number show we can watch you beat james BUBBA stewart next year. That's of couse after you win your Lites Championship and work real hard before you enter the 450 class. :smirk:

topdave,

That's low class partner. If you can't do better than that, save us the pain and don't post.

HAV,

I see what you are saying, and to some extent agree. There seems to be less fight in a lot of these guys today than there used to be. Race X has a video up from the San Diego SX in 84(?) that a 16yr old Ron Lachien just walked away with on a stock bike... impressive. I'm not sure the mental side of things is same anymore, there's plenty of money to be made now, even being a top 10 guy. On the other hand, the sport has developed so far with both the bikes and the riders now that perhaps it's just such a fine line between winning and being 2s/lap slow? You certainly see that in other forms of motorsport, particularly F1 where absolutely everything must be right to produce a winning car.

Oh, and I think RD5 twists the throttle plenty... he just does it smoother than most others. Two bike failures cost him the 2011 MX series... and now he's developing a brand new machine which takes time to understand and sort out set ups. He'll be just fine.

There is a big learning curve when going to the 450 class. Bigger bikes, longer (rougher) races. And you just do go balls out - its more of a chess match and setting people up.

That's why 250 riders aren't the top dogs (usually) when the first step up. They have to 're-learn' the game. For example, Villopoto, Dungey, and Canard.

Villopoto straight up dominated the 250 class. undefeated 3 time 250 mx champ, 250 sx champ (almost had a second). Yet his first year in the 450 class it took a while before he was able to notch a win. And I believe he only won two races that whole year. He was up against a steep learning curve.

Dungey by anyones standards rocked his rookie season. This can be arrtibuted to previous SX experience in the 450 class though. He rode the 450 in 09' when the west coast took it break, giving him experience. Plus he had RC and Decoster and a mentor - never a bad thing.

Canard also rocked his rookie year. Notching some wins against a stacked field. However, he also did several races on the 450 in 2010 when the west coast took a break. He was was able to see the pace and style the 450 class runs.

I really think that this previous seat time helped these riders prepare for the 450 class. It's a whole new beast to conquer, that takes time and practice.

In any sport there is a very small percentage of elite athletes that are heads and shoulders above the rest. Every sport has superstars but this sport is an individuals game. It's one guy against the rest not a whole team against another team

The best will always rise above everyone else. And that is accurate in all aspects of life not just sports

I must be watching something else entirely! I can't believe how much more the backmarkers are trying! When the big names get a bad start and have to come thru the pack, those guys don't give them an inch!!! They are making them earn every position, by fighting tooth & nail, and I love it!!! My helmet is off to all of those guys that make, or even try to make the Main event!!! Maniac

I with Slackkin here. They are all trying, it is just damn difficult to reach top.

Other individual sports are like this as well in tennis, for example, you have Djokovic, Nadal ,and Federer at the top like RV, JS, & CR. To go even further I think Andy Murray and RD have a lot in common very smooth and near the top and will definitely win if the others crash. Overall usually the top 3 to 5 in individual sports I am familiar with typically own the lion's share of victories though.

topdave,

That's low class partner. If you can't do better than that, save us the pain and don't post.

HAV,

I see what you are saying, and to some extent agree. There seems to be less fight in a lot of these guys today than there used to be. Race X has a video up from the San Diego SX in 84(?) that a 16yr old Ron Lachien just walked away with on a stock bike... impressive. I'm not sure the mental side of things is same anymore, there's plenty of money to be made now, even being a top 10 guy. On the other hand, the sport has developed so far with both the bikes and the riders now that perhaps it's just such a fine line between winning and being 2s/lap slow? You certainly see that in other forms of motorsport, particularly F1 where absolutely everything must be right to produce a winning car.

Oh, and I think RD5 twists the throttle plenty... he just does it smoother than most others. Two bike failures cost him the 2011 MX series... and now he's developing a brand new machine which takes time to understand and sort out set ups. He'll be just fine.

Dear MD, You and HAV are invited to the next SX tea party. (Bring your own napkins to sit on) it may be dusty. Read what Metalmeyer and a couple others here have said, and learn some common sense from some of us that actually showed up at the gate for some motos.

p.s. If telling someone the obvious is bad manners, burrrrrp! than so be it. And you, speak when you're spoken to, or did that go over your head too.

Dave,

You make me laugh. It's people like you who contribute to these forums being a disaster on most days. Save your advice for your kids...