Sign in to follow this  

which oversized fuel tank on an sm?

I have a 2007 drz400sm with the tt 39mm fcr carb. i love the bike but hate the range of the stock fuel tank. I was looking at the clarke fuel tanks and see that there it different tanks for the s,sm models than the e models. the only difference i can think of is that the e models had the fcr carb from the factory and that the e tanks had to be made different for the larger carb. just woundering if anyone has done the larger tank and which style tank they went with. any help would be apreciated. thanks

E & kick only models have different tank mounts than S & SM models.

E & kick only tanks mount the same.

S & SM tanks mount the same.

to add to that:

pretty easy to mount E or kick tank to S/SM models

not as easy to mount S/SM tank on E or kick only models.

so i should not have any clearance issues with my carb if i order the oversized tank for the s, sm models. thats the biggest thing that was worrying me. did not want to spen 200 plus on a different tank and then come to find out the carb makes it not fit right

I'm running the Clarke 3.9 on my SM. I too have the FCR. The problem is the tank blocks half of the plastic pull tab on the choke. What I will need to do is dremel off half of the tab. Then it should pull out just fine. I haven't gotten around to it because I rarely need to use the choke where I live.

DSC_0002.jpg

I don't know what model of FCR you have but Eddie makes a choke kit for the FCR-MX that addresses this problem of the choke knob hitting the tank on after market tanks that carry the fuel lower. I ordered my carb from him with this mod and it works with the IMS 2.6 gallon plastic tank I have on my S. I don't know if the mod will work on the slant style FCR but you could call him and check.

http://www.thumperta...for-the-fcr-mx/

Edit: I just read a little of the link and in the fourth post Eddie says it will work on the older style FCR's but it wouldn't hurt to call and check.

Edited by npm
  • Like 1

I have an IMS 3.2 tank on my SM with an FCR- MX carb and a kick start. No interference with the choke or the kick start.

I don't know what model of FCR you have but Eddie makes a choke kit for the FCR-MX that addresses this problem of the choke knob hitting the tank on after market tanks that carry the fuel lower. I ordered my carb from him with this mod and it works with the IMS 2.6 gallon plastic tank I have on my S. I don't know if the mod will work on the slant style FCR but you could call him and check.

http://www.thumperta...for-the-fcr-mx/

Edit: I just read a little of the link and in the fourth post Eddie says it will work on the older style FCR's but it wouldn't hurt to call and check.

Thanks!!! I have the MX. I'm going to order one now!!! Thanks again!

I run the Clark 3.9 with an fcr mx and a kicker added. You'll need to modify the choke knob and if you have or add a kicker you'll want to grind the ridges off the top of the kicker so it doesn't rub the tank. My only regret is not ordering the natural color tank. It would be nice to check the fuel level without opening the cap.