Sign in to follow this  

New to the forum and doing a kx65 Build.....

Hey all,

I will just start out and tell everyone i love forums. You get the best advice and knowledge from people that are in to the sport. I got 3 little ones riding. Twins that are 10 (boy and girl) and a 8 year old daughter. My son has a 2000 kx 65 and the 2 girls share a pw50 (for now). My son has been riding for 2 years now and loves it. I put him in a mx race last summer and out of 12 bikes he got 5th. On flat ground he will peg the 65 out. He wants to do a bunch of races this year so I thought "well let me see if i can make him a fast bike" Got it all torn down with the help of some of the guys I met over summer that knows bikes a lot better then i do. I give you the list of plans for this build and let me know what you think.

wiesco piston

port and polish

v force 3 reed vavles

mill the head 10 thousands

Bills pipe

The guys that are helping me build it say it should tear up the track. I will try and get some pics on here and keep this going through out the build.

Any advice would be great.

why? The kx65 is a stepping stone bike. Best thing that can be done to the bike is an aftermarket crank, freshen up all parts like the reeds, modify the squish band and run it. The suspension will need more help than the motor on a track. Which the KTMs have over the KXs.

I kept ours stock, played with the fork oil level and weight for indoor vs outdoor and it was a great bike. The suspension is worlds better on the 80s which is usually only a year away from when they start on a 65.

Like JJ said you can put all that work in but just because the bikes fast doesnt mean the rider is fast.. Now is the time when your boy needs to learn the fundamentals that will make him fast and the skill that will make him good. just keep the motor good and spend the extra cash on the suspension and possibly some lessons that will point him in the right direction ex. Keep your elbows up, always lean forward, stand up, put you leg out in turns, ride on your toes and grip the bike with your knees. stuff like that will probably double your boys speed size of the motor doesnt matter at all.