Sign in to follow this  

Yota Enthusiests, 4runners/Pickups-Problems, Mods, and Pics

YOTA ENTHUSIESTS, WHERE YOU AT?

Just picked up a 1987 Toyota 4runner. I've wanted one for quite some time now. It had a fresh 22RE (Long Block) dropped in November of 2011. (With 2 year warranty) W56 Manual Tranny. New clutch, and aftermarket exhaust which I intend on swapping with something quieter. Some dings and dents but not to concerned about the cosmetics for now. I love the fact that I can remove the top. I'm in the NW, but it will still be off all summer! I plan to turn it into a mild offroader/commuter. I am familier with Jeeps(CJ5's), I have 2 of them, but don't know much about toyota's yet..

Anyways, I thought this would be a fun spot to share common mods, and pictures of the work you guys have put into these old Jems!

Some Mods I'm considering when time and money presents itself:

New passenger front fender

SAS conversion

New interior paneling and seats (It reeks of sig smoke)

Rhino line floor boards

New Tires

You don't want a modern rig if you wanna take it wheelin and actually enjoy yourself. SAS that with 4" lift, trimmed fenders, bigger meats and a selectable locker or two and have fun. Maybe add winch if you plan on wheeling solo.

Edited by woods-rider

That wasn't what I meant.

This was my yota project. It's a little more Southwest than yours. And a little newer.

Started out with a rolled 04 tacoma 2wd 6 lug. 3.4l v6, automatic. 38,000 miles. Got it on my 14th Birthday.

Start_1.jpg

Got a 99 donor parts truck.

99_Arrives.jpg

Tore everything out of the rolled truck, swapped cabs, and put it all back in. Included Alpine speakers all the way around, 12" sub, 1200W amp.

Cab_Swap_4_Medium.jpg

Cut off bedsides, and mounted fiberglass.

March_22_037_Large.jpg

Used the axle from a T100, with 4.56s and a locker.

IMG_20100906_125659_Medium.jpg

Total Chaos Long travel kit with 8" King coilovers and fiberglass.

Jr084.jpg

Jr255.jpg

Jr261.jpg

Bumpers front and rear.. close to 200 hours on the front one.

075_Medium.jpg

Painted Matte Black... finished 2 1/2 years later. Perfect Father/Son Project... Thanks Dad!

065_Medium.jpg

SAS is easy on those trucks, but not necessary for a mild trail rig. If you go with bigger tires, I would definitely re-gear it. IMO, the best and most cost-effective option for locking the rear diff is to swap in an e-locker third member from a TRD tacoma. You can either modify your current housing to fit it or just bolt up a whole new axle. With the factory switch and locker control box, it's super easy to do. Complete trd axles can be had for around 5-600 dollars, but are worth every dollar. A locking diff is one of the best mods you can do.

Juniorfab-very nice project pickup you built there!

Oh yeah, I did forget to mention possibly lockers and a winch will definately be a necessity for me.

I'm trying to keep it simple for now, and keep it functioning well for now on both street and mild trails, but I have big plans for it in the distant future. It definately is a blast to drive. I took it up in the mountains the other day and worked the 4WD a bit. And the amazing thing is that I still had plenty of gas left when I got back, as opposed to my jeeps with v8's! My first purchase will be some MT's 32's or 33's with a 2-3 inch lift.

Will a re-gear diffinately be in order after that? It has 31's right now.

Also, anyone have a favorite website for they're 1 Generation 4runner parts?

Edited by mikewrf18

SAS is easy on those trucks, but not necessary for a mild trail rig. If you go with bigger tires, I would definitely re-gear it. IMO, the best and most cost-effective option for locking the rear diff is to swap in an e-locker third member from a TRD tacoma. You can either modify your current housing to fit it or just bolt up a whole new axle. With the factory switch and locker control box, it's super easy to do. Complete trd axles can be had for around 5-600 dollars, but are worth every dollar. A locking diff is one of the best mods you can do.

Thanks for the info, I did not know that. I'll have to take a look at that at some point.

I've had yota"s and jeeps since i was a kid build the yota similar to a jeep gears and lockers should come 1st,then lift and tires. look into northwest offroad that use to be a great source for yota stuff.they are located in washington.If you are going to spend money on seats look at mastercraft,this is the best thing i could have done to my jeep i love my mastercraft seats.living in the northwest i had mine made out of vinyl with no cloth, when wet wipe and go ,and easy mud clean up.If you want more power i would do the 20R head conversion with a weber and header.Big gains.I havnt had yota in few years but thinking about another 83 ,See what you started.You will find that the yota does better than your cjs,Ireally hate to admit that cuz i love my jeep.

I don't know if you know this, but yotatech.com is a great forum for 4runners and other Yota's.

Check out TTORA.com, its a good wheeling site dedicated towards Toyotas.

Here's my Taco, 33s, 2" lift, and some rock armor.

IMG_6217.JPG

IMG_4514.JPG

Edited by joeprunc

Nice 4runner im a yoga tech in buffalo ny area and we never get to see the older stuff like that around here they've all rotted into the ground long ago.... I've had a few tacomas but always like the way 4runners drive... google search lc engineering they have a lot of toyota motor and drivetrain stuff

Here's a picture of the 1990 SR-5 that I used to own. It was pretty stock, except for the flat bed. I loved this truck, and I really regret getting rid of it:

1990yota.jpg

I sold it after I got my 2000 Tundra, which is also a great vehicle:

IMG_4284.jpg

Had a 85 Toyota.

3" Rough Country lift (crap, WAY stiff, shocks were shared with full sized 70's or 80's Fords if I remember correctly)

Lock Right in the rear

BFG 33 x 9.50 mudders

Header and some other junk

Sold with ~205K on it

1702270008_large.jpg

Later down the road I ended up with a 89 for too good of a deal. Head gasket had been replaced several times, but still was filing the oil with coolant. No one noticed that the timing chain tensioners were gone and the chain had sawed a groove thru the cover into the water pump area. Temporarily fixed with JB weld and new guides, later a new cover/chain/steel backed guides. Truck ended up eating the big end bearing and throwing rod #4 after a few years of abuse. I'm sure all the running it had done with coolant in the oil didn't help. Gave it away as a roller with 147K on it. Only IFS problem I ever had was keeping idler arm bushings in it. It didn't get much time in the rocks, but overall was hammered pretty damn hard, and saw more than it's fair share of airtime.

No lift, just sawzall and hammer

Interco LTB's, 34 x 10.50

"Lincoln locker" in the rear

Snorkle made from the exhaust tubing and a random molded rubber hose

Cherokee buckets

Hacked bed

Eventually ended up with stock tank relocated to front of bed and 62" Chevy rear leaves (stockers broke after removing overload leaf, too much spring wrap)

It had aluminum I-beam bumpers, 3" x 5", solid as heck, and light. The pics here were it's first time out, I just spray painted a cut up 2x8 for a front bumper to keep from getting pulled over.

4150790001_large.jpg

4150790019_large.jpg

4150790021_large.jpg

Edited by adam728
  • Like 1