Sign in to follow this  

buying a 02 cr250, good and bad?

i currently have a 99 yz 250 that im selling, im selling it for a grand and im buying my friends mint 02 cr250, but ive read some fourms that make it seem bad?? i rode it and it has so much more botttom and mid then my bike. and thats what i like. i was wondering what your guys' thoughts were on it. ive never had a honda only a 96 yz125 and my 250. so please let me know, any info will be great!! thanks!!

i currently have a 99 yz 250 that im selling, im selling it for a grand and im buying my friends mint 02 cr250, but ive read some fourms that make it seem bad?? i rode it and it has so much more botttom and mid then my bike. and thats what i like. i was wondering what your guys' thoughts were on it. ive never had a honda only a 96 yz125 and my 250. so please let me know, any info will be great!! thanks!!

The motor on that bike was supposodly its weakness so if you already like it better then your previous bike, you are going to love it. the 02 is a great handling bike.

• Like 1

slapshot58,

I have an '02 and an '03 (pretty much the same bike - Honda made just minor changes). There's a reason for that. They are very good bikes.

There's a lot of good info here on TT about those bikes and how to improve them.

Edited by David_L6
  • Like 1

RC won the 02 supercross and out doors series on it. In 03 he won the supercross series and went undefeated in the outdoors series. He was the 1st guy ever to do it. The magazines didn't like the motor on the Honda case reed engines but it must be a pretty good motor to do that. The 3rd gen aluminum frame is still regarded as probably the best frame ever on a mx bike. Very stable. Like I said, you are going to love the bike if you already like the motor.

• Like 1

ya, if you liked the low end power then it must be jetted good and in good shape motor-wear wise.

Do these mods:

1. Replace brittle OEM reeds

2. Buy MX Bonz air box seal kit

3. Buy Pro Circuit exhaust flange

4. Jet TMX carb per jetting chart in manual

5. Install S7 nozzle in carburetor (Yamaha part).

Mod suspension to suit. Brap.

• Like 1

ya, if you liked the low end power then it must be jetted good and in good shape motor-wear wise.

Do these mods:

1. Replace brittle OEM reeds

2. Buy MX Bonz air box seal kit

3. Buy Pro Circuit exhaust flange

4. Jet TMX carb per jetting chart in manual

5. Install S7 nozzle in carburetor (Yamaha part).

Mod suspension to suit. Brap.

+1 to the above, I love my 03' and have put that thing through the ringer. Only change I'd make to shrub's suggestion is to make a carb swap over to the Keihin PWK Airstriker instead of steps 4 and 5. That Mikuni POS carb is more sensitive than a pregnant chick on ativan. The stocker clutch plates are shit too but I'm sure those have been replaced by now.

Plently of jetting instructions in the forum for that carb on our bikes.

• Like 1

+1 to the above, I love my 03' and have put that thing through the ringer. Only change I'd make to shrub's suggestion is to make a carb swap over to the Keihin PWK Airstriker instead of steps 4 and 5. That Mikuni POS carb is more sensitive than a pregnant chick on ativan. The stocker clutch plates are shit too but I'm sure those have been replaced by now.

Plently of jetting instructions in the forum for that carb on our bikes.

do you wannna give me all the info for this carb

like the size (mm) and if i check ebay would it be off of a banshee or blaster? or what. cuz i just looked and thats what they were off of.

thank you a ton for your help man!

do you wannna give me all the info for this carb

like the size (mm) and if i check ebay would it be off of a banshee or blaster? or what. cuz i just looked and thats what they were off of.

thank you a ton for your help man!

Another route for purchase is to buy the 2000 CR250 carb from Cycle Central Powersports. $165 or so.

I really like my '03 CR250, but dare I say - if your '99 YZ250 has less bottom end, then there might be something wrong with the YZ?

I really like my '03 CR250, but dare I say - if your '99 YZ250 has less bottom end, then there might be something wrong with the YZ?

Having owned a 03 04 and 07 YZ250 I do know their powah. Not sure if they actually have "more" or that it hits harder? I've heard folks say the CR is a mid/top motor but I don't get any sudden hit or power increase there either.

The 02-07 bikes get a bad rap from the internet & the mags when they first came out. Most of the info on the net is from people that have read or heard about it. Since you've riden it & tried it out you can be the judge & not read into what's floating around the net. I've owned 02 & 04 yz 250's I don't think the engines on them have changed much from the 99-12 models. It's possible your yz is tired & in need of a topend or the 02 has mods that have gotten the lowend on par with the yz.

The 02-07 bikes get a bad rap from the internet & the mags when they first came out. Most of the info on the net is from people that have read or heard about it. Since you've riden it & tried it out you can be the judge & not read into what's floating around the net. I've owned 02 & 04 yz 250's I don't think the engines on them have changed much from the 99-12 models. It's possible your yz is tired & in need of a topend or the 02 has mods that have gotten the lowend on par with the yz.

Make sure the squish is set correctly, possibly bump up the compression a little (I did - had mine set up for 100 octane), and swap out the TMX for an Air Striker and the '02 has good bottom end. I also have an FMF Gnarly pipe (that pipe is supposed to be more bottom end oriented). Those bikes aren't bad at all.

Make sure the squish is set correctly, possibly bump up the compression a little (I did - had mine set up for 100 octane), and swap out the TMX for an Air Striker and the '02 has good bottom end. I also have an FMF Gnarly pipe (that pipe is supposed to be more bottom end oriented). Those bikes aren't bad at all.

i have been seeing squish alot on here, could you exolain it?? in my 19 years of living and my 9 of working on bikes i never heard of this till i started reading up on the honda.

There great bike's and with a few upgrades can become a track weapon in the right hands at the track or woods. Here is my thread on my 2002 cr250r there might be some info that can help!! Braap

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/911601-cr250r-build-up-by-a-college-student/

Love mine, but compared to old CR's it has a "different" type of engine and power delivery, for sure. I have had modern YZ's too, and am very suprised to hear u say that this CR has equal bottom. The mid-to-upper-mid is indeed a thing of beauty, but the bottom is barely mediocre on mine. If u keep the TMX, the only thing I will add to the posters above is to set the idle screw with no idle, unless u absolutely have to have an idle. The bike feels and handles superbly, like a 125; extremely low cg feeling. Great everywhere actually, except adapting to the quirks of the engine. Sort of like dating an asian chick; a bit on the exotic side sometimes, but overall worth it.