Sign in to follow this  

Bad head gasket cause smoking out of exhaust?

i have white smoke coming out of my exhaust, and it drips out of my exhaust post when i take the pipe off after it runs, the rings look fine, but when i took the head off the gaskets didnt look too good, valves are adjusted correctly. could the rings still be bad even if they look perfect? has 88cc bbr big bore kit.

thanks.

i dont think you can check rings by how they look. you need to measure the gap. take them off and push one into the cylinder nice and square, and measure the end gap. acording to my manual, the xr/crf 50 rings have a maximum wear limit of .5mm on the rings, and 1.1mm on the oil ring.

Did you do a post mortem once you had everything apart? Oil could leak into the cylinder through the head gasket. Well, not necessarily the head gasket, but some seals between the head and cylinder. If I remember correctly, there are one or two o-rings that seal the oil passages. How did those look? Oil could also be leaking from the valve stem seals. If you have the head off, you might as well replace the valve stem seals and have the valve guides and valves checked for excessive clearance.