Sign in to follow this  

Stupid Question (stock petcock)

just bought my DRZ, on my older honda the petcock says on/res/off.

i keep hitting reserve on my DRZ at 50 miles on the nose with the petcock pointing to on. is it supposed to be pointed at primary until i need reserve?

Primary is to be used ONLY for starting or to fill the carb with fuel after the carb has been drained.

Have you filled up to see how much gas goes in after 50 miles? If you are doing normal street riding you should be putting in around 1 gallon for that many miles. I believe reserve is .6 gallon on the stock tank so either the petcock is not right or you are getting really bad mileage.

As Moterreal says don't leave the petcock on PRI.

filled up few days back. 1.6 gallons. drove 50 miles on the nose. bike started bucking and dieing so i kicked on reserve and went to fill up. took 1.7 gallons to fill again. i ride freeway at 70mph to and from work every day, roughly 8 miles each way.

the exhaust is not overly black from running rich. i guess i could be twisting the throttle a little hard/fast at times but i am not railing it all the time and do ride easy most of the time.

I'd go for a ride around town doing <55 and see if your mileage improves, I normally fill up at around 75 miles and that's too frequent for it always seems. Does your oil smell like gas? That maybe where some of your fuel is going.

just did a oil change last sunday and it was perfect, oil even looked clean and new but since i just got the bike i did it anyways. just checked the oil and its clean and smells of oil, nothing else.

maybe my bike just doesn't like running at 70+mph. i will try to keep my speed around 60mph or so for the next tank riding to work. but my problem is still just that, even with me (190lbs) riding 70mph and only being able to ride 50 miles sucks since i am kind of planning a 2 day adventure trip for the spring.

also what mileage do you replace the spark plug? what about a 16T sprocket?

Edited by Mullet Bullet

i think stock chain and sprockets. stock mikuni. heck the airbox has never been touched.

i dunno, maybe i am over thinking it and just cranking the throttle to hard and too much.

Edited by Mullet Bullet

Reserve at 50, that's some serious 'twisting" :smirk: ? A normal day of 50-60 mph riding will get me 110 miles before reserve. But I ditched the oem petcock when it failed and put in a Pingle.

I suggest pulling both hoses off your petcock (with a full tank of fuel) and make sure neither of the points are leaking fuel.

second is to check your gearing, did you buy the bike new? if not new it could have lower gearing on it.

BTW: "PRI" means "prime" as in to "prime" your carb after it gets emptied of fuel from draining the bowl or something.

Somethings up with you mpg. That is the worst mileage I can remember of hearing on a stock mikuni. Count the teeth on both sprockets, look under the carb at the float bowl screws, are they phillips head and look buggered or allen head? Was the carb reletted for the Yosh, is it a slip on or a full system? Check for leaks as suggested. That fuel is going somewhere!! Are you driving with the choke on?

i keep hitting reserve on my DRZ at 50 miles on the nose with the petcock pointing to on. is it supposed to be pointed at primary until i need reserve?

Geez, I would go broke if that was the norm. Something wrong with that. Do yourself a favor and do the 3x3, not saying it will improve the mileage, but certainly a increase in joy!

when i get the bike back this afternoon i will pull the covers and count the teeth on the sprockets as well as the vacuum/fuel lines from the petcock.

bike is a 2001 400S, and i think its a complete yoshi system, but i am not sure. here is the bike in question.

DSC_1651.jpg

went for another ride just now, covered 45 miles and though since i have been in the city for the most part and have been very gentle on the throttle other then 3 WOT blast through 3rd and 4th i would fill up and see how much gas it took. 1.1 gallons, again. i dunno, maybe someone jetted the carb to match the yoshi exhaust. the bike runs really good and has lots of power, but mileage in the low 40's, im not to happy about.

i dunno, maybe i should just carry a gas can with me and run it until the reserve is empty to see how far i can go on the res.

just went and counted sprockets. 14/47 is what i have. stock is supposed to be 15/44 but from what everyone says the best compromise is 15/47

Edited by Mullet Bullet

With 14/47T at 70mph you will be revving at over 7,500 rpm...That's not far off peak power on a stock S...

It's a No Brainer....You would have to have high fuel consumption...

If you are going to continue with mostly highway miles go to stock 15/44 or 15/41.....

The increased drag from the Knobby tyres would be adding to your fuel consumption woes...What pressures are your running?

Edited by craigodrz400sm

tires are set at 18 and 22psi. what about going with a 16t front sprocket? or do you think i would be better off with changing both and going with the 15/44. i will be riding 90% street with some forest service roads here and there and a small mix of single tracks.

i do plan on tracking down a set of SM wheels or at least another set of S wheels and running street tires and swapping between the two sets.

Your gearing is to low!

Is your air filter clean?

I pull the crab & check to see what jetting you have. You should be getting 55 to 68 MPG.

filter looks pretty dirty so i ordered a new one tonight, twin air brand.

i think i am also going to order new sprockets in the stock gearing. 15/44 and see if its better then.

looking at motorcycle-superstore and they have the JT steel sprockets for 520 chain and just want to make sure thats right. or if anyone can recommend a site to buy it as a set with the chain that would be awesome.

Edited by Mullet Bullet