Sign in to follow this  

Super fine metal particals in oil

Ive got an 07 on my bench right now that the ower found super fine metal particals in the oil filter hole. So he brought it over and we popped it apart.

What I found was the cage in the main bearing on the left (stator) side seemed to be grinding itself away on the bearing pins. We caught it super early and the main bearing pin on the crank and the rod and the other bearings are all fine. The oil pump has some marks in it but nothing catostrophic. The piston had some wear on the skirt as the result of the hardend steel and the cam chain seemed like it was worn completely out. But a quick hone in the bore, a new piston kit, and the one side main bearing and it'll be ok.

That bearing is a 65x39mm and the bearing pin on the crank measured perfect for bearing clearance so we caught the issue in time.

Its going to be a relatively cheap fix for this guy. Guys, pay attention to the oil filter and what it tells you.

good to know.. ! i need to get in the grove of pulling the filter more often, even if i just put it back in. I don't change it but every 2-3 oil changes but should check it more often than i do.

Ive got an 07 on my bench right now that the ower found super fine metal particals in the oil filter hole. So he brought it over and we popped it apart.

What I found was the cage in the main bearing on the left (stator) side seemed to be grinding itself away on the bearing pins. We caught it super early and the main bearing pin on the crank and the rod and the other bearings are all fine. The oil pump has some marks in it but nothing catostrophic. The piston had some wear on the skirt as the result of the hardend steel and the cam chain seemed like it was worn completely out. But a quick hone in the bore, a new piston kit, and the one side main bearing and it'll be ok.

That bearing is a 65x39mm and the bearing pin on the crank measured perfect for bearing clearance so we caught the issue in time.

Its going to be a relatively cheap fix for this guy. Guys, pay attention to the oil filter and what it tells you.

Hmm - Your in there, and your not doing the crank? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. You can buy a rod kit for $150 retail, and the labor to press the crank is another $50-$75. In the grand scale of things thats not much more.

And btw that main bearing is much more rugged than the lower rod beraing. So if its worn I have to believe the rod bearing is not far behind.