Sign in to follow this  

Chicks dig scars

Thought id start a topic about what sort of injuries everyone has had or seen riding over the years. Bit macabre maybe but i think most of us enjoy a little gore. Myself i've been fairly lucky, some nasty gravel rash using my elbow as a brake on concrete, and a broken ankle trapping my leg up between the swingarm of my friend's SX125. Had i not been wearing boots it would have been much worse. Also seen my friend's dad lose the front end of my bike when he was having a play on it and ripping the back of his hand open wide on the already broken clutch lever, watched him faint into some brambles at the first sight of blood :bonk:

So whats everyone else experienced injury wise? After all it is a dangerous sport and accidents do happen, and everyone loves a good war story :smirk:

Heres my accident report.

On December 18th I was at the track and on the first lap out just before the finish line jump I had a pretty bad accident. About an hour later I was at the ER via the local taxi called the Ambulance. After a few X-Rays a Cat Scan and an MRI they tell me I have a few broken ribs and my left shoulder is broken in four places. Many painful hours later I finally make it to surgery where it takes them 8 hours to replace part of my shoulder. Thankfully I was able to make it home by Christmas. Now I am making progress even if it is slow going. I went back to the surgeon last Tuesday to have the staples out and for a routine check up. Everything looks good so far. I'm scheduled to go back to him on the 18th for another follow-up and to hopefully he will think it is time to start Therapy. I know it is a long and painful process, so I hear. Anyone here been through this before? Any thoughts and what I should look out for or things that may make this process easier or quicker?

Very painful "before" picture

IMG_002.jpg

Still painful, but not as much "after" picture

IMG_003.jpg

Edited by Ron731

i'm no doctor, and x-rays always confuse me. But damn that shit looks painful! Also over 100 views and only 1 reply? You can't be telling me over 100 of you have never had a smash.

Well I'm not sure my girl really enjoy my scars very much, but I've acquired a few over the years.

Biggest scar was from having a spinning rear tire from an XR400 land on me after driving into some tree after screwing up a corner. Ended up having some rubber burned into my arm that had to be removed from by the doctor. Left a pretty nice scar on my arm that from the looks of it is permanent.

I also broke my collarbone that required a plating which left a scar across my entire right shoulder.

Those are my two major scars, got plenty of smaller other scars that aren't really worth mentioning.

When I was about seven and just learning to ride I accidently dropped the clutch and got some whiskey throttle. Long story short the bike fell over and I landed on top of it, sending a broken clutch lever up under my chin and almost through the bottom of my mouth. Got pretty lucky there. Only a few stitches. So far that's the worst I've dont on a motocross bike.

I've had much worse injuries on non-motorized things than I have motorized things. You'd think it'd be the other way around.

Edited by Ih8Hondas

Oh don't let work stop you! It's as big a part of our lives as here it is on bikes! I'm pretty sure the majority of us don't work with papercuts and staples. Accidents at work too!

As for my own workplace I watched my mate roll a BIG cylinder-head over onto one of his fingers on the first day of the job, turned black straight away. Could have done with BOTH his able hands for the next 2 weeks.

i'm no doctor, and x-rays always confuse me. But damn that shit looks painful! Also over 100 views and only 1 reply? You can't be telling me over 100 of you have never had a smash.

It was painful ikis86. Been doing my therapy and all is good. The trick for me is to keep it moving. I had to go to a job site meeting a few days ago for a job that we are bidding on.

Had to set there for over 2 1/2 hr and wow when I got up to move my arm I was like crap but after a few min of moving it around all was good. Have to keep that blood flow moving.

Been riding for over 30yr and this is the 1st time I got hurt this bad.

But been going to the track every weekend to watch my wife & daughter ride so that's cool. Hope to be back riding soon.

Ron.

Edited by Ron731

I guess I've been pretty lucky.

About the worst get off I've had is one time jumping when I was a teenager and the bike got a little too vertical. I tried to save it as I was landing but was really just holding on by the bars. As I came down my side got pretty gouged up by a rock and left a scar about 2-3 inches long. It wasn't a deep cut or anything though. I kept riding that day after putting a bandage on the cut. I also came up way short on a double one time and took a nice bite on my (unpadded) bars with my chin. Again more painful than anything else. Left a small scar on my chin where to this day I cannot get any beard to grow.

3 collarbones, tibia, fibia, elbow. u can hardly see the scars on my knee from surgery..the one on my collarbone is pretty good tho :smirk:

Chicks dig scars. Sadly, wives do not. :smirk:

Fortunatly, I have man fur. It hides the scars. :bonk:

• Like 1

in august i broke my collar bone, probably the most pain ive ever been in, but i think it was more from the crash then the break.

2011-08-16_16-31-12_849.jpg

the day after

2011-08-16_16-14-27_925.jpg

before surgery, the lady kept messing my ivs up i was pretty pissed off about that cause i hate needles lol.

2011-08-26_09-33-15_492.jpg

2011-08-30_13-11-23_142.jpg

2011-08-26_15-23-11_922.jpg

2011-09-08_08-39-42_987.jpg

Then in november my step dad had a pretty bad get off and broke his femur.

2011-10-23_19-09-39_169.jpg

2011-10-23_19-09-31_932.jpg

this is a rod drilled through his tib or fib? i dont remeber. but it was hooked up to weights to pull his leg back down into place.

2011-10-23_19-15-53_369.jpg

his scar after this is smaller then my collar bone scar, crazy huh? i also broke my scaphoid in my wrist the year before but only have one screw in that and a little scar.

2011-11-07_11-50-40_25.jpg

Oh yeah, chicks dig scars!

A buddy of mine, Drew, used that pickup line so many times I got sick of hearing it. He would ask any girl in range, “Is it true that chicks dig scars?” Then he would proceed to convince the girl to look and see if his knee surgery scar was cool or not.

A second buddy, Mike, blew out his knee and got a cadaver tendon installed about that same time. I guess that left a different looking scar.

There I was innocent bystander having lunch with these two guys after a morning at the track when Drew starts on the waitress. “Is it true that chicks dig scars?” That got her attention so he quickly added that both he and Mike had surgery and they wanted her to look at the scars to know which scar she liked best. I was always surprised that this actually worked for him but it did. She looked interested when she innocently asked, “What kind of surgery did you get?”

I couldn’t help but blurt out, “Circumcision!”

She left in a hurry and the three of us laughed until we got tears in our eyes.

• Like 5

Right collar bone twice. Left collar bone once. Cracked vertebrate. Pelvic bone. Six ribs. Every finger on my left hand. Deflated lungs (both at the same time).

It’s been one heck of a tough life!

I’ve seen a guy get killed on a half mile dirt track, Kenton Ohio 1980. Was in the same heat race as I was in. Not a pretty sight.

Been riding for over 30yr and this is the 1st time I got hurt this bad.

Wow. I've had a few similar in a quarter the time. I must really suck.

I've had a few orthopedic surgeries, and I can say that shoulders hurt the worst. All the best to ya!

Jay

I have been lucky, nothing that bad so far. I have to remember to take pictures when it happens.

Hyperextended lower back and cracked ankle in '04, didn't break but pulled every muscle and tendon in my right hand when I come up short on a double in '05, wiped out and tumbled off a small cliff into a bunch of boulders in Cloudcroft, New Mexico and some how managed to sprain my ankle and nothing else in fall of '09, broke ribs in May '11, torn meniscus on Thanksgiving weekend of '11 still havn't had surgery yet though, trying to see if it will heal on its on. Amazing how we find this shit fun.

my first race i went to in 2008 i was on a yz125, i was going around a sweeping corner 4th gear pinned about 45 mph, well the left hand grip slipped off. it was about 100 degrees and very humid. well i fell of the bike and hit the ground hands first broke both my wrists, dislocated and displaced both of them along with broke 9 different bones in my right wrist. i got back up and tried to pick up my bike and heard this really loud pop and felt a tearing sensation lol. it hurt quite a bit. i have 6 surgeries on it still havnt fully recovered i have little rnage of motion be still find a way to twist that throttle a little further then it needs to go :smirk: lol i have pictures but not on my laptop. the xray of my hand showed 30 pieces of broken bone floating around lol

also had 6 concusions in motocross 9 total!! lol

i took pictures of my wrist before surgery my wrist was the shape of a "S" it twisted and turned in the diferent spots. i had my brother take a pic before surgery on my phone haha