Sign in to follow this  

new carb and won't start

I have a drz125, the previous guy made a mess of the carb by locktighting the internal parts. I bought a new 30mm carb off of ebay, and now it won't start at all. Any body have any idea's? What should I try? It feels like I am getting no gas into the engine.

float bowl full? Is it trying to pop at all? What 30mm carb is it? Are you getting spark? Is the air filter clean? Put in a fresh spark plug, make sure you have spark, then try from there. Keep us posted!

Tom

It is made byRuntong, yes it is a POS ebay carb. I am getting spark, the carb is full of gas. I even put the old carb back on the bike and it started up. So it is definately the new carb.

New carb ~

Lossen the drain screw on the bottom and and check for fuel flow (checking fuel in the bowl) if no fuel then a blockage between the tank and bowl (needle and seat / screen filter / petcock). If gas at drain then you will need to open it up and verify that the pilot jet and pilot jet passage to throat (air filter side) is clean. Does it have a Butterfly style choke or enrichment valve style choke?

Old Carb~

A good soildering iron should release the loc-tite with out damage to the carb. Toys-r-Us electric guitar strings make good tools to clean the main and pilot to useable condition.

Edited by mbwhitfi

One of the cheap chinese carbs I bought didnt have the passageway for the idle/and pilot drilled out. The machining left just a slight little "cover" over the passage. If the bowl if full, the needle and seat are working. Check the obvious stuff like make sure there is a hole in the pilot jet (sounds dumb but you would be suprised) Usually, the quality of these carbs isnt bad...but quality control is another thing

Thanks for the info, I am going to check out your ideas after work today. If that does not work the guy I bought it from said I can return it and he will replace it.

I got my replacement carb, I will put it in tomorrow. I hope every thing is Okay

I put the replacement carb in and it starts with the choke on. it will only run with the choke on, once you go past half throttle it just bogs out. Any body have any experience with this?

Sounds like the jetting is way off. Make sure the jets are clean, try putting a larger pilot in and see if you can get it to idle without the choke (often, when the pilot jet is plugged, you can bypass it by using the choke circuit, thats why it runs with the choke on) so either the pilot is clogged, or the pilot is not large enough to get the motor enough fuel to stay running.

should I try to enlarge the hole or go get a new pilot. Where is a good placeto order a pilot and do you have a size you recommend?

Any bike shop should be able to help you. I would not recommend enlarging the hole. If you do that, and its better, or worse yet the hole is to big, it would be very hard to tell the difference. And once the hole is bigger, you cant go back. If you pull the jets out of the carb. You should be able read the number stamped on the side of the jet. The number on the jet corrosponds to the size of the hole iin the jet. A larger number means a larger hole. If you go to a shop, take your jet and ask if they have the next couple sizes up. Most all shops keep a good assortment on hand. Good luck

I put in several different jets, played with, no satisfaction at all . I put the old carb back in. I will just run it with the choke on. I am going to look for a used OEM carb on ebay and go with that.