Sign in to follow this  

Where to get a Yz 250 f engine

SO i just bought a 2005 Yz 250 f frame, complete with everything except engine and exhaust. I got it for $200, figuring that even if i cant find an engine for it, i could still part it out and make my money back.

So does anyone know where i could pick up an engine for this bike, also anyone know what model year engines fit in this bike?

Also are there any engines from other bikes that would fit in this frame relatively easily? (im a mechanical engineering student and i have access to a cnc machine shop so i can fabricate any mounting brackets and such for free.)

• Like 1

Any yz250f engine from 01-05 will fit in the frame, however the wiring harnes for 01-02 is differant than the 03-05 harness. By wiring harness I mean the coil and cdi. I believe the stator MIGHT be the same.

That is correct. eBay or Craigslist. Your probly lookin at $600-800, maybe even $1000 for a complete engine. You might be better off buying parts and piecing one together. You can try googling adrenaline cycles by searching moto-recyclers. They have tons and tons of parts in great shape at great cost.

This one looks like it could be a good deal if it doesn't go up too high. I'd expect to spend $1000-1500 for a complete motor. At least that's what I usually see them going for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YZ250F-Engine-2005-YZF250-YZF-YZ-250F-Complete-Kart-Motor-OEM-/200721720509?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebbf264bd&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1180

08rider, I just read on here that '10+ motors have a different style mount on the head. That makes sense because they changed up the frame/tank to make room for FI... if they ever actually do it on the 250...

I thought the 06-09 engine fit in the 01-05 frame also. I took a 04 motor and put it in a 07 frame with no problems. I would assume it would be able to go the other way...