Sign in to follow this  

How do I grease needed parts of my KX250f

Hi, I recently bought a 2007 KX250F :smirk: . I know the general maintenance, oil changes, oil filter, air filter,and so on and so on. The one thing that is confusing me is when people say "you need to grease your bearings, swingarms, linkage, and stearing head. How do I do this, what tools do I need, and how often should I be doing it? I just want to make sure I'm doing what i need to be doing and not leaving anything out.

Thanks in advance!

There is a great thread by Primal in the FAQ section at the top of the forum list that explains this process.

The process of greasing these vital components is pretty straight forward. You will not need any special tools, besides patience, when doing the rear suspension linkage. Just take your time and make sure you get all of the old grease out of the spaces between the needles and within the races. Use plenty of grease to repack them as they will take more than you think. Make sure you get all needles back into the bearing, the grease will help the needles adhere to the race on the inside as you rotate them up with your finger and add them in. Sorry if this description seems vague, you will know what I mean when you get there.

You may, or may not, run in to difficulty when trying to remove the swingarm pivot bolt. I believe it is a 22 mm socket to get at the swingarm pivot bolt nut. Just keep at it and you will get it out, just do not pound on the threaded end to get it out as this will cause it to mushroom or damage the threads. I suppose you could use a block of wood or dead blow hammer on it if you backed the nut out to protect the threads. Make sure to add the anti-seize compound on the swingarm pivot bolt.

You will need a 32 mm socket to remove the triple clamp nut, I forget the its proper name. After loosening that nut, and the triple clamp bolts, the triple clamp assembly will slide up and you can remove it. You will see the bearings on the superior and inferior aspects of the triple clamp assembly and those are the bearings that need the grease. After that, just reassemble and tighten them to their proper torque specifications.

The process will take you a few hours, but it is always a worthwhile experience to get to know your machine. Good luck and have fun.

Chris

• Like 1

This shows how dry the bearings are when the bike is new:

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg