Sign in to follow this  

98 dr350 camshaft drive chain

I recently took my bike into a shop to get the head gasket replaced ... I happened to notice when I went in to check up on the progress, that the camshaft drive chain wasn't secured at the top and was lying inside the bottom end ... i read in a shop manual somewhere that you would have to tear open the bottom end to fish it out in you dropped it ... anybody know whether that's true or not? ... the bikes been in the shop for over three weeks and I'm starting to wonder

It has been a couple of years but I replaced my DR-350 cam chain as part of a top-end rebuild and I did not go into the bottom end. You do have take the clutch cover off and pull the clutch to replace the chain. However in most cases this should not be nessary unless the chain gets jammed by turning the crank while the chain is down in there, you can just reach in with a hooked wire and lift it out. No worry.

ok ... thanks for the reply ... I guess I'm just trying to make excuses for why it's taking sooo long to replace a head gasket ...