Sign in to follow this  

Odd problem with LEDs

I installed some mirrors on my 09 SM which has 900 miles on it. They have LED turn signals in them. I attached them to the existing turn signal wires, and they work fine. However, when installing them I turned in the key to test blinkers, for a grand total of probably 90 seconds. This was spread over maybe ten times I turned the key on to test. And that killed my otherwise perfectly charged factory battery. Would you think that's normal?? I meter on the battery, and it was down to about 10 volts not running, after this. I tried the blinkers and it would drop to about 8.5 each time they would fire. Thoughts? Maybe these mirrors have a bunch of LEDs in them they are drawing too much? Looks like there is maybe 4 LEDs in each side. Obviously if they are too much for the bike they'll be gone.

Thanks for any advise.

LEDs should draw less current than regular bulbs. Are you sure the batt was good to begin with? Check your wiring too

Stange, they definitely arent drawing to much current, just go over your wiring again. I don't even think polarity would matter with them though (not 100% sure on that though). Maybe you left the key on longer than you thought and just simply drained the battery. Start with a fresh charge and go from there.

Charged battery and everything seems back to normal. Funny cuz I ride the bike that day all over town and it started perfectly all day. That was like an hour before I added the signals.

Hopefully it is normal for a battery to sizzle when charging, cuz it sure was.

LED's killing a battery in short time is not normal. Sizzle when charging is not normal. What is your charging procedure?

It sounds to me like the battery is toast. Perhaps holds a "surface charge" (voltage comes up but has no capacity to deliver power more than just a short time) Have the battery load tested. (a known load is placed on the battery and voltage is measured over time)

Your headlight is on with the key? It draws much more than the turn signals do. If your back bulbs are still regular ones that is where the load was when the turn signals blinked.