Sign in to follow this  

Metal in gear oil RM 250

I recently purchased an 02 RM 250, I have always owned Hondas and this is my first ever Suzuki - I was informed that the bike had not had an oil change in a long time so I decided to do it, I was a bit disturbed to find sh#tloads of metal shavings in the drained oil..... the bike seems to change gears and run normally, I did have an issue with a few false neutrals when I first took it for a ride but since I re adjusted the gear shifter that problem seems to have vanished, at the same time I also drained the oil on two old CR125's which had not been serviced in a very long time, I'm talking years, the drained oil from both CR's was metal free? not a single visable scrap, the CR drained oil almost looked like I could re use it, the RM oil looked terrible, then I saw all the metal sitting at the bottom of the container. I have read online that it is normal to have some metal shavings floating around in gear oil, especially if it has not been drained in a long time..... ? I find this hard to believe and am considering ditching the RM before it expoldes!... I have attached pics of the RM drained oil with the metal shavings, they are very fine, I am concerned that the gearbox might be on its way out.

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

That looks more like normal wear to me. I would change the oil a few times shortly after one another before you give up on it. There are no big chunks, so I would think it might be ok.

Yeah i'm thinking its from the clutch. I have just never seen this before on any other bike i have owned.

The previos owner proberly never changed the oil from new , i had my bike 06 rm 250 second hand and the first thing i did was change the oil and as smaal peicee of meatle was founf it was proberly a chiped tooth as later i found out that the 06 bikes had cheap metale used in the making of the gear boxes , so im sitting tight so far so good and after the third oil change it was crystle clear as i change mine every two race meatings.

If there was a problem with the gearbox i would suspect you would of known about it straight away , noise roughness felt when riding or hard to change gear thats what i would expect to hear or feal.

Did you check to see if its steel or aluminum with a magnet?

Yep, that's the best approach, and if it's steel I'd strip the gearbox now. I've seen that once before, caused by a bearing cage starting to break up- caught it early so it was a pretty cheap repair indeed.

Even if its aluminum I would be worried those are big flakes. Not normal.

Its aluminium, I am on my third oil change in 2 days, I will drain it again after next ride and see if it gets any better, none of the material is magnetic and less is coming out each time I drain the oil. I don't think previous owner did a lot of maintenance, the air filter was caked full of dirt when I first cleaned it. It's just concerning to me because I have other motorcross bikes and I have never ever seen this before? its also confusing because some ppl say its perfectly normal wear and tear and others say the bike has major problems? so I dunno, I guess I will continue to monitor the situation, keep draining the oil after each ride and be on the lookout for strange noises and rough gear changes... in the picture below one bike has aluminium in the gear oil, the others do not..... I'm looking at you Suzuki....

IMG_1789.jpg

Some bikes use aluminum clutch plates that wear quickly. I would expect the material from the plates to be very fine powder. Like metal flakes in paint or dust.

They are more like tiny flakes, not dust, they are very thin and there are no chunks or magnetic particles - I swished them around in some fuel to get a better look at them, seems to be a lot! I can only compare with my previous experience and I have never ever seen anything like this with my other bikes. I am using Motul Transoil 10w-30, should I be using something heavier?

It shouldn't be there. Something is getting chewed up. It could be inside the cluch cover. I would start there its easy enough.

I don't think your oil is the problem. People run all different types without problems. I use ATF.

I'm off to inspect the clutch, I'll post pics if I find anything of interest. cheers

Usually i would say that there is something inside that gearbox that is wearing excessively. However, judging on how black that transmission oil is, I would have to say that that is normal wear, its just that the oil has not been changed in the last 20-30 hours, especially if the clutch was used alot. I have never seen gearbox oil that has been this dirty, so i would say you are in the clear. Keep changing that oil every ride for a little while to make sure that you get all of the metal out.

So any clues as to why the oil in the CR's was clean? the oil in them was very old and the bikes have been thrashed? the RM is new to me and I am unsure when the last oil change was, I was told that it was a while ago, but that could mean a few months or years depending on who you are talking to? I hope that its nothing terminal, I will inspect the clutch in any case and continue monitoring the oil.

There's nothing in the tranny that wears that much normally. Not that I've ever seen. Fine powder in old oil yes but lots of metallic flakes that makes no sense.

hi iv got my manual out for my 06 rm 250 and the gear oil it sais to use is sae 10 w 40 api sf/sg or sh/sj with jaso ma, my manual also sai to change the oil every 6 hours or every 3 races.

But if it wer me i would flush out the gearbox antill it came out clear so that you dont have small pockets of aluminium stuck in places that you get when you drain the oil as not all of it will come out, once you have done this you have a good refrence point of knowing there is nothing left behind so that once you drain the oil after a couple of rides you can see if you have a problem or not .

So whats the best way to flush out a gearbox? Do i pull it apart? flush diesel through it?

Cheap oil and change it 3-4 times should do the trick. You could do some atf it has a lot of detergents to help clean things out. It would be good to fill it ride for an hour or so get it nice and hot then drain and repeat. I would stay away from diesel in the trans.