Sign in to follow this  

Texas Barnwell Mountain,Gilmer Texas

You heard right. It's fun but check their web site for fees and what might be going on before you go.

It's been a while, but I've been out there. There were about 10 of us in the group I went with. If you like lots and lots of rocks, it might be your thing, but I can tell you when we left, I was the only one that didn't have something broken on my bike. We had multiple bent rims, multiple bend rotors, flats, and 1 cracked case. If you're on a four wheeler, or a jeep, or something like that, it might not be all that bad, but on a dirt bike, it's not so great. I love challenging trails that you have to sit there and figure out who's going to try it first because it looks so sketchy, but the rocks and boulders made it a pretty un enjoyable experience for us. Just my opinion, I'm sure there's a lot out there that will disagree with me, but that's how our trip went.

If you ride the back area it is very rocky and steep steep hills. You can't get much of a run at them and they are very challenging. The front half is a lot easier and more dirt trails.

The long 30 mile singletrack loop is very tough but its do-able for sure. I ride it about every other Sunday, I was doing it on a heavy and crappy old klx300 until I bought a ktm a month ago. That loop takes me about 3.5 hrs. I have cracked two rims there in the last year. They now have a much easier 16 mile loop called the Adventure Trail that is still alot of fun. All the trails are well marked and the singletrack is one-way. Come check it out, it will make you a better rider.

I rode there once last year. I showed up and planned on doing a "quick" lap around the singletrack loop for a workout. I got my workout! And it wasn't quick. Lots of hills (for TX), it reminded me of riding back in PA.

I thought the trails were fun though. It's worth a trip if you've never been there.

Just too my 10 yr old son 2 weekends ago, we had a blast. There's lots of trails for every taste, we really enjoyed the adventure trail and even some of the harder stuff.

I had been thinking of heading over there. Thanks for letting me know about the rocks. Between that and the high cost of entrance, I think I'll pass.