Sign in to follow this  

Oil

Ah an oil thread. Expect nothing but a bunch of varying opinions. I used to use Mobil1 in everything i've owned but for some reason the KTM just likes to drink the Motorex....well...because its a KTM :smirk:

So...are you guys running the 10w50/ 10W60 as suggested in the owner's manual? Seems a little light IMHO. Coming off KLX450R and YZ450 and ran 10W40 in both those bikes. Just wondering, seems like a whole lotta different stuff w/ this bike compared to Japanese bikes.

Edited by 2012 450 xc-w

This is like asking which religion is the best!

On that note I'm very tempted to use some mobil1 or castrol syntec, am I or my bike going to go to hell??

I'd buy the motorex but not at the insane prices it sells for.

Marketing partnerships with oil company"s is pretty common, My 1st ktm it was Shell products they pushed. Next year it could be something else. It's just marketing and branding.

It's like when the corvettes came with mobil 1. The marketing implied "this oil is so good that they use it new corvettes", And "these corvette motors are so special they need mobil1 synthetic" The branding of perceived quality fed off each other. Why some manufactures go into these deals.

I know on cold winter mornings I've seen people have some real issues with those 50 and 60w oils trying to get their bikes started. And always wondered what inherent design problem they are trying to patch by running such thick oils, when most other brands are fine with 10w40 and even 10w30. Can only think it's a worst case scenero oil, hot desert dakar type recommendation..

Dumonde was reccomended to me by a local shop as a cheaper alternative to Motorex at about 21 bucks for a half gallon however I am considering switching all my bikes to Rotella Synthetic. I seem to hear nothing but good about it, its half the price and I wont have to have different oils laying around for different bikes.

Around here, 10W-50 and 10W-60 are difficult to find, and usually very expensive. Pick any JASO MA rated 10W-40 and change it often. I have been sticking with Mobil1 from Walmart or Castrol RS from Adavance Auto parts. Haven't quite brought myself to using the deisel truck oil, yet!

Thanks for all the replies. Originally asked because I have a couple gallons of Silkolene 4t 10w-40 in the garage. Has always worked in my other bikes. G

I know a lot of people have issues with using a automotive oil in a motorcycle but I own a BMW auto repair shop and we keep Castrol TWS 10w60 in stock for all the M cars... I have been running it in all my bikes for well over 10 years now w/o any issue and I can get it for cheep.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/extendedsectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9033804&contentId=7062427

I've used Amsoil in everything I own for a long time and great luck with it, so when I pick up my 530 on Tues, it'll be an Amsoil bike from now on.

I can't recall which site I read it on but there's definitely a difference between automotive and motorcycle oils. Originally I was thinking of just using either mobil1 or castrol syntec, not now. I'm going to continue using the Maxima synth-blend and I guess burn in hell!

Rotella T6.

Going strictly by price, for a full synthetic oil (meeting the standard, not actually certified) JASO-MA motorcycle oil- Rotella T-6 was the best price a month ago at Wally World for $21 per 5 qt container.

Dumonde was reccomended to me by a local shop as a cheaper alternative to Motorex at about 21 bucks for a half gallon however I am considering switching all my bikes to Rotella Synthetic. I seem to hear nothing but good about it, its half the price and I wont have to have different oils laying around for different bikes.

I have heard that the KTM race team actually uses the Rotella as well but I wonder in which grade. I am guessing 10w40 or even 5w30 since they are racing it. Figure the bikes runs for maybe 45 minutes total on that oil before it is swapped out. Not sure I can bring myself to buy Motorex at $60 a gallon. Seems like an awfully high mark up.

Going strictly by price, for a full synthetic oil (meeting the standard, not actually certified) JASO-MA motorcycle oil- Rotella T-6 was the best price a month ago at Wally World for $21 per 5 qt container.

Note that both Rotella T6 5W-40 and T 15W-40 are officially JASO-MA certified now.

Edited by Chas_M