Sign in to follow this  

kyb dual chamber qesution

I just changed my fork springs on my 08 KLX450. They are 48mm KYB dual chamber. When I filled the inner chamber with the correct amount of oil it says in my service manual I didnt get any excess oil coming out of the subtank oil holes. does that mean i need to add more? do you have to get oil coming out of those no matter what? Also now that i put in those springs my forks seem alittle more noiser now... like somethings rubbing. I read it could be the different diameter of aftermarket springs that do that. Do they just need to get some oil on them and theyll be good after a couple rides?

I usually use more than the prescribed amount of oil in the inner chamber just so that there's more likelihood of them burping up any air that gets included. You can over do that to the point where you won't be able to screw the base valve assembly into the cartridge at full extension, but short of that, the only downside is a little more wasted oil, while the upside is a more assertive bleed event.

I prefer to use KYB springs as much as possible. With apologies to the better aftermarket brands, the KYB springs are enough higher quality to make them worth the money, and one way that that is reflected is in the fact that they don't tend to bend laterally as much when compressed as do some others. The "bowing" under compression causes the spring to rub the inside of the fork tube and squeak and grunt and such.