Sign in to follow this  

Anyone else having a problem with PJ1 filter cleaner cans not working?

The past few months all my cans of PJ1 filter cleaner spray for a few seconds and then stop. If I blow out the nozzle with compressed air it works again and then stops. It is like there is a fine grit inside the cans or something, plenty of pressure in the cans. Anyone else having this problem? It is all cans I have bought through a local shop, don't know if they had a bad batch or what. Anyone else having this issue?

I've had problems with an entire case of PJ1 paint cans malfunctioning. They refused to do anything so I don't buy PJ1 anymore.

Yeah at $11 a can or so this is a pain in the ass, what brand did you switch to? I really like their filter oil, is there another cleaner that works well to remove their oil?

I usually clean filters with straight Simple Green and a hose. For oil I use BelRay foam filter oil in a bottle. Put the filter in a big plastic bag,add a few ounces of oil and squish it around 'til it's even.

I use simple green before washing my filter wish dish soap but it seems like the filter still has a tiny layer of oil in it after each time...Is that normal? I mean I'm using Simple green and dish soap and thoroughly wash...I just don't get it.

My friend swears by PJ1, I'm guessing he's never had a problem. I use Klotz :smirk:

Edited by BlackCR25098

I've heard kerosene and gas are a big no no because it breaks down the glue that holds the filter together, and even the filter itself...What I've heard is safe is mineral spirits! Guys lemme know if there's any truth to any of that!

Yeah mineral spirits is good for cleaning but you need to do a soap and water cleaning to get that out. If you don't it affects the filter oil in a negative way.

Eh I've cleaned my filters with kerosene for years. Guess I just end up replacing them before it harms them cause I haven't seen that, maybe I don't run the same one long enough.

I've heard kerosene and gas are a big no no because it breaks down the glue that holds the filter together, and even the filter itself...What I've heard is safe is mineral spirits! Guys lemme know if there's any truth to any of that!

Kerosene is the factory recommended solvent. It is also recommended by Twin Air. If you have trouble finding kerosene, use diesel or mineral spirits.

I have had the same problem with multiple cans of PJ1 filter cleaner. So annoying I can't believe it is this big of a problem!

I use mineral spirits. It costs a ton less than the filter cleaner spray (a gallon of mineral spirits is between 9-15 bucks, and will last a good amount of time) and coupled with a cheap 2 gallon bucket with a lid, it is pretty handy. Then wash filter out with soap and HOT water, hear wife complain that the kitchen smells all "chemically", then let them dry overnight. Oil them up with bel-ray filter oil in a gallon zip-loc bag, then install!

I thought I was the only one having that problem. Guess it's time to try the kerosene method.

Glad I asked! Do you guys dump a whole bunch of kerosene or mineral spirits in a bucket and just wash out that way or just pour some on the filter? I have just been using simple green and then dish soap and hot water...Maybe that's why it still has a light film of oil in the filter after all of that, because I wasn't using kerosene or mineral spirits.

I've got a 5gal kerosene jug (like a gas jug, just blue) and keep a few gallon in it about all the time. I pour the kerosene in a pan on the fileter (prob a couple cups worth) and clean the filter. I pour the dirty kerosene in my used oil jugs that I take to the local parts store to dispose of or pour in my multifuel military truck's fuel tank :smirk:

Glad I asked! Do you guys dump a whole bunch of kerosene or mineral spirits in a bucket and just wash out that way or just pour some on the filter? I have just been using simple green and then dish soap and hot water...Maybe that's why it still has a light film of oil in the filter after all of that, because I wasn't using kerosene or mineral spirits.

Just get a bucket from home depot or lowes, a lid and then dump the mineral spirits in. Toss the filters in to soak for a couple of minutes, then pull them out and get all the excess mineral spirits out. Toss them in the sink and wash them with dish soap and hot water, let them dry and then oil them. I never trust the spray oil, because it only covers the exterior of the filter. I like to squeeze the oil through the filter to make sure that oil penetrates the entire filter. Then again, I still grease the filter rim with bel-ray grease, so maybe I go a little too far in the preparing part....

I have a 2 gallon bucket w/ a sealed lid that I fill with 1.5 gallons of kerosene or diesel. kerosene and diesel are very similar chemicals. 1.5 gallons will clean about 15-20 filters, but you will need to periodically add a small amount of solvent to maintain the level as it drops as the number of filters you clean increases.

Just toss the filter into the bucket, dirty side down, and let it soak for 5-10 minutes. Then pull the filter and see if there is any spots that are holding dirt. If there are, gently brush and squeeze those areas with your fingers and work them out of the filter. Gently squeeze the solvent out of the filter and set it on a stack of newspaper and let the solvent drain onto the paper for 10 more minutes before moving it to a 2 gallon bucket of warm soapy water. Dawn works best for this. I perform at least 3 soapy water baths to remove the solvent and dirt from the filter. White buckets work best because you can see the dirt in the bottom of the bucket when you pour out the dirty water. Continue to perform the soapy water baths until there is no more dirt in the bottom of the bucket. Hang the wet filter up and allow it to air dry overnight.

Edited by CamP

Shoot, and I thought I was being thorough in my washings...Apparently not enough! I've never even kept a filter on a bike long enough to really develop very much dirt at all, and I have 2 air filters, so I can always keep one oiled up and ready to go...A UNI, and a No Toil..The uni is the best, even has the red cover filter, but what exactly is the solvent that you are putting back in? You just mean mixing in more kerosene because the 1.5 gallons is getting dirty from filter? So with 1.5-2 gallons, I can clean about 15-20 filters...and with the dish soap washing, I've always just been doing them in the sink, instead of a bucket? How necessary is the bucket for those washing?

Shoot, and I thought I was being thorough in my washings...Apparently not enough! I've never even kept a filter on a bike long enough to really develop very much dirt at all, and I have 2 air filters, so I can always keep one oiled up and ready to go...A UNI, and a No Toil..The uni is the best, even has the red cover filter, but what exactly is the solvent that you are putting back in? You just mean mixing in more kerosene because the 1.5 gallons is getting dirty from filter? So with 1.5-2 gallons, I can clean about 15-20 filters...and with the dish soap washing, I've always just been doing them in the sink, instead of a bucket? How necessary is the bucket for those washing?

You need to periodically add more solvent to the bucket because you remove some every time you clean a filter.

A white 2-gallon bucket works best for the soapy water baths because you can better see the traces of dirt left in the bottom of the bucket. When all traces of dirt are gone, your filter is clean. This typically takes several soapy water baths to accomplish. I found nice 2-gallon buckets at my local Ace Hardware. I bought 2 buckets and one lid. They stack together into one unit when not in use.

If you use a heavy duty oil like Maxima FFT or Belray, you don't need to service the filter until there is a visible build-up of dirt on the outside of the filter. On prepped tracks with little dust, this can mean as many as 5-6 hours of riding time before filter service. My preference is Maxima FFT because it's 35% less expensive and it's easier to work into the filter than Belray.

Edited by CamP

Oh okay well as you may know I use Klotz spray foam filter oil, and I'm not sure why the 1 guy said spray oil isn't as easy to work into the filter...I have no problem. Just have to get full coverage inside and out. I will definitely have to try the mineral spirits technique, and then begin washing with dish soap in the bucket...and I'm guessing when you're saying you can't see any traces of dirt in the bottom of the white bucket, you mean you are dumping it out and re-filling it each wash, until nothing else builds up in the bottom, correct?