Sign in to follow this  

4 stroke safer than a 2 stroke?

http://www.racerxonline.com/2011/12/01/rapid-reaxtion-two-stroke-class-at-lorettas

"If you think there are a lot of squids at your local motocross track these days, think back to when two-strokes dominated the dirt. It seemed like every ten minutes someone was high-siding in a gentle turn, or looping out on a double right out of a corner. If you don’t remember those days, you’ll just have to trust me. I was after all, a big part of that carnage (not my fault, I rode a ‘97 CR250), and the only reason I could afford to keep riding was because I worked in a motorcycle shop and got a deal on the parts I was breaking every weekend.

Then, along came the four-stroke. With its abundant and predictable power, the squid factor decreased rapidly, almost overnight, and it seemed like just about everyone I knew that was making the jump to four-strokes was getting fast all of a sudden. I swam against the current for as long as I could, but when I found myself bailing off my KX250 in midair after a particularly nasty loop out at Riverfront Park in Nor-Cal (it’s never a good idea to ride “one more lap”), I decided it was time to add some strokes to my life.

Since making the switch to four-strokes, I don’t get tired as quickly, my lap times are much lower and I don’t crash nearly as often, although the guys I ride with might find that last one hard to believe. Here’s my point: For motocross, supercross and arenacross types of racing, the four-stroke engine configuration is superior. It delivers easier to use, predictable power, and unless the rules governing displacement change, it will always be the king of horsepower in its respective class."

I also think the 4 stroke is safer, but with the added weight of 4 strokes and the engines becoming less reliable, do you think they are "safer" than a 2 stroke

The guy who wrote that article is an idiot.

Ok, maybe that is a bit harsh, but how is a bike that is bigger and heavier going to be safer?

Edited by akpilot7

it has nothing to do with the weight of the bike. It is about the power delivery and stability (expecially on 450s). I don't think the beginner 'goon' phase is less visable at tracks, but the learning curve is quite a bit quicker. I got a 250 2t two months ago and have one crash that would probably have been avoided had i been riding my 450. That being said i don't think that guy who wrote that article is very good, i learned to ride on a 2t and never bailed cause i was looping out, wheel spin and the bike go side ways and bail happened more then once, but i never looped it.

Whoever wrote the article should just stay home. That would be the safest thing.

• Like 1

Sounds like the author should have been on a 125. I've owned multiple examples of both,and one isn't any safer than the other IMO. 4t may be more predictable,but I wouldn't call them safer. If safe is what you are looking for,golf might be a better choice.

I recall Jeremy McGrath making the opposite argument for MX, noting that the bigger and heavier 4 strokes tended to collect the rider in crashes, resulting in far more serious injures. I'm a woods guy myself and I ride smokers, but it seems like I could hit a tree equally well with either engine type.

• Like 2

I’ve been riding for nearly 40 years now and have owned plenty of 2-strokes and 4-strokes. Saying one is safer than the other is like saying a 3/4 ton diesel is safer than a 3/4 ton gas engined truck. I don’t buy it! But... red bikes are much more dangerous than blue bikes!

CoKTM

doesnt matter how many strokes you have crashing hurts,i crash less now after switching back to a 2t,i think the lower center of gravity helps,i race offroad not mx though

It seem's some people will blame any old thing for crashing

"That tree moved"

"The sun was in my eyes"

"My bike doesn't have enough strokes"

Yes, I agree that 4 strokes are safer to ride. My crashes were cut to a fraction when I got on 4 strokes. Once a 2 stroke starts to swap it tends to escalate into a crash where 4 strokes are more likely to straighten out. I've landed 4 strokes at ridiculous angles and still saved it. The abrupt power of a 2 stroke and lack of stick also make things more exciting and gets you tired more easily. BTW, I own both...

If it starts to swap pin ot and it will sraighten out no matter how many strokes the engine has, as long as it's not an unsavable swap.

Dude who wrote that article is an idiot. They are both dangerous and one is just as likely to get you into trouble as the other. The reason you saw more squids crashing is because mx used to be a lot less expensive to do and people with lower incomes and intelligence levels that reflected that, could afford to ride. The werent smart enough to learn clutch and throttle control.

Edited by Ih8Hondas

4 strokes have a more predictable power curve, which I agree will help new riders learn to ride slowly and learn the controls. However, when your twisting the throttle and trying to go fast it doesn't matter. I loose rear traction in tight turns just as much on my 450 as on a yz250.

• Like 1

This post makes no sense at all? Sounds like folks need to stay home safe and sound on the couch and drink the stuff from the blue can. I hear the beverage in the blue can is safer than the stuff in the brown bottle. You could cut yourself on the brown bottle…………………

• Like 1

Well, there is a very clear and distinct difference between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke in how they deliver power. So yes, 4 strokes are easier to ride for a longer period of time. I recently did a test on a friend of mine, I gave him my 125, having never ridden anything else BUT his 250f before and he didn't crash once. In fact, he went quicker then he normally does because he could throw the little 125 around more. If you know how to ride, what bike you have doesn't make a difference. You will use different lines to benefit the alternative powerbands, but other then that, a bike is a bike. Anyone who says you'll have MORE accidents on a 2 stroke is just doesn't have any 2 stroke experience. Considering I actually know people who have had serious crashes because their motor ceased on them when riding their 4 stroke. Considering on a carbureted 4 stroke, when you crash, it can take several kicks to get it re-started, exposing the rider to potential accidents. Considering the initial purchase cost, service costs and weight increase, to me 4 stokes are more scary to own then 2 strokes.

• Like 1

If it starts to swap pin ot and it will sraighten out no matter how many strokes the engine has, as long as it's not an unsavable swap.

Dude who wrote that article is an idiot. They are both dangerous and one is just as likely to get you into trouble as the other. The reason you saw more squids crashing is because mx used to be a lot less expensive to do and people with lower incomes and intelligence levels that reflected that, could afford to ride. The werent smart enough to learn clutch and throttle control.

did you really just say that? wow!!

As for the argument that the dude made in the article.... he basically said he started out on 2t's and crashed a lot and now later in life he rides 4t and crashes less.... to me he crashes less because he's got more experience and has become a better rider!! he'd probably crash less than before on a 2t as well!! doesn't necessarily have to do with the fact that he rides 4t now. he totally missed that critical point.

suffice it to say, it's the rider not the bike - that makes the difference.

Edited by Dr GoFast

The reason is that all the squid riders no longer can afford to race four strokes. that's why all the local tracks that have kept the four stroke handicaps in place are dying. Those that run 250 two strokes straight up with 250 four strokes are drawing people with smaller budgets back in. i love when a faster rideris chasing me on a 250F and I hold him off in the corner and pull away in the straight drives em nuts.

Sounds like the author should have been on a 125. I've owned multiple examples of both,and one isn't any safer than the other IMO. 4t may be more predictable,but I wouldn't call them safer. If safe is what you are looking for,golf might be a better choice.

This. Lots of dumbasses on 250's that can't ride them so they go 4 stroke. Guys that are far to manly to be seen on a 125.

did you really just say that? wow!!

As for the argument that the dude made in the article.... he basically said he started out on 2t's and crashed a lot and now later in life he rides 4t and crashes less.... to me he crashes less because he's got more experience and has become a better rider!! he'd probably crash less than before on a 2t as well!! doesn't necessarily have to do with the fact that he rides 4t now. he totally missed that critical point.

suffice it to say, it's the rider not the bike - that makes the difference.

The part of my post you bolded wasn't meant to be taken 100% seriously. I know that's not pc and probably not even the main cause of fewer squids but I believe there has to be at least a tiny bit of merit to it.