07 450x spring rates?

I am realy unhappy with my recent suspension work. the valving is great but the springs are way off and the bike is very unballanced.

I am thinking about ordering some eibach springs and just swap them out myself. i ordered from them before on my cr500 project and the springs were great.

My question would be what spring rates should i get??? they say they can get me close but i think as a bike specific forum you guy's can get me even closer.

the bike is an 07 450x oversized tank flatland skid plate and rad guards mrd pipe

I weigh in at 230 with full gear

and race gp cross copuntry and hare scrambles in the 30+ expert class.

I have had good luck with eibach anyone's opinions are welcome.

thanks

Edited by 98rm250_90cr500

5.9 rear, .49 front

You have to set sag to know what springs you need. No other way will be useful in anything but getting you near the range.

Static sag needs to be 25mm, race sag 100mm. Put on all your gear, get a buddy and a tape measure, and go to work. Sit on the bike in the seated attack position, balls of your feat on the pegs.

Set the sag with the springs you have now, to see how close you can get.

If you get 20/100 or less, you need a stiffer spring. 30/100 or more you need a softer spring.

Never attempt to change ride quality by changing springs. Springs are to hold the bike up to a specific height, nothing more.

No other reason to change springs other than to reach this target setting. You can fine tune from there, but you will probably find that getting into this range will put the suspension and geometry 'in the sweet spot' that completely changes the bikes character.

All other suspension changes are done with valving

Every spring change requires a valving change, if the valving change puts your rebound adjustment out of range of the new spring tension (more/less pressure on the rebound circuit)

Suspension valving falls in (2) general camps: low compliance (Smart Performance, Enzo, etc) and high compliance (Factory Connection, AS Racing, etc). MX and Expert Desert Racers usually like the low compliance.

Good luck.

Edited by Krannie

Low Compliance: push down on the suspension and it doesn't move much. Very linear dampening, with little change in the 'stroke' resistance.

High Compliance: push down on the suspension and it moves. Very progressive dampening, with a gradual, or radical, change in the stroke resistance.

Both can be set to 'ride high in the stroke' but of course the low compliance method does this better, and is typical of very high speed or very high jumping applications.

Both can be set up to not bottom, ever.