Sign in to follow this  

engine id number

i am having problems with wrong parts being ordered . i think my 1979 rm 125a is that but aparently it isnt. i am having problems getting the right parts becuase i dont think it is the right engine. the engine id number on the cases are rm125-88488 and the frame number is rm125-88046 can anybody help me i cant put it together.

Well usually when you order OEM parts for your bike from a warehouse or dealership,you give them the make and model of your bike. The only way to know the correct make and model of your bike in order to get the correct parts (like swing-arm bearings,dust seals) is to get the vin # off the frame that is stamped on the frame along down side the steering head which usually starts out with some letters and then goes into numbers that are at least 17 digits.

If you are refering to bearings and seal of the motor like small end rod bearing or oil seal then the ID from where I mentioned to get it from would come from this. If the bike you have has had another motor put on it from another bike that is different in years then you may have a problem. Some year model bike didn't change much in one year so if the parts you ordered will not work then you may be off a few years

Were dirt bikes carrying standard 17 digit vins since they werent mandated until 1981?

I think he is saying the engine is not the original for that frame (An engine swap from a different year bike)